A Small CNC Mill - A Huge Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Clearly the millions of lines were not written out longhand, and typed in..... I assume that the way they got to that size is by having a short routine which got copied many times into a larger routine, possibly with some one line modifications. Then that larger routine may have in turn been copied many times, again with some one line modifications.

Otherwise, well....... it would take something over one working year to input a million lines at 10 seconds per line.
    Got one, FISH ON lol

My "fishy" comment was in reference to the fact Bob makes fishing lure molds. I know small cutter tool paths can be HUGE. I "write" them on a daily basis....
    Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 11-10-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
      Frankly that story sounds a bit fishy. I'm not going to take the bait. But some will, hook line and sinker....
      OK, OK, gotcha. I guess I did not connect the references to fishing lure molds even though there was more than one.

Comment

I'm embarrassed to show that mold actually. I've since done some work on the design to cut it much more efficiently both faster and with a much smaller code file. I still have not recut it. Its really just a pretty simple worm mold and not well done at that. I think I had it programmed to do the bulk of the cutting at around 30 or so IPM, but with acceleration and deceleration, and the CAM method it was actually roughing much slower. I seem to recall it roughing out out cavities at around 8ipm even though it was programmed for 30. It is a 21 cavity mold. Some time later I did make a larger version at 17 cavities, and on the same machine it cut much faster using different methods.

No it was not coded by hand. I used CAD and CAM by the time I was making those molds.

The mold at 5.6 (2.3 per side) million lines was just a few months ago. It came out quite nice, but its a proprietary design for a customer. It was not just a nice 3D mold, but it has a 3D textured surface.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
          The mold at 5.6 (2.3 per side) million lines was just a few months ago. It came out quite nice, but its a proprietary design for a customer. It was not just a nice 3D mold, but it has a 3D textured surface.
          I'm absolutely floored by some of the detail in today's baits. I've only recently been getting back into the fishing game (last 4-5 years) after a long absence. There is a BIG difference in the artificial bait world since the mid 90's.

Comment

This is that "first mold I was really proud of" I mentioned. This version is slightly less detailed than the original and employs better machining methods. The original took 4 hours to machine per side. I'll let you watch the video to see how long it takes now that I have learned a thing or two. I actually think I could machine it faster, but I only sell a few per year, so I have not spent any more time optimizing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM2EXYiT1z4
            Last edited by Bob La Londe; 11-20-2017, 12:10 PM.
            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

great story, thanks for sharing. nice molds too
              san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Bob,

Fascinating story.

I have a Taig CNC 2019 ER on a shelf in my garage, bought with money from my deployment to Libya in 2011....I've not had the time/space/etc to assemble it yet. I think I'm learning from your experience that while it's capable, I have to find the right capabilities to use it for!

Thanks.

NS

Comment

Working...
                X