Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT – Handy Tool De-Magnetizer

Hi All,

I posted a thread on another forum about a simple & CHEAP demagnetizer I made for small tools.

As I am too new to post attachments, I will post the link below that will take you to the thread.

It is located on the Model T Ford Club forum.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1510202462

Hope you find it useful.

Bob Cascisa
    Poulsbo, WA
    Be_Zero_Be
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    You Never Used To Be Older

And it's possibly worth mentioning that for best results pull the tool slowly away from the demagnetizer while its powered. Once you are couple of inches away release the power switch.

Comment

An old trick from the electronic types is to use a soldering gun to demagnetize small tools, like screwdrivers. You need the type of soldering gun that uses a loop of heavy gauge wire for the tip. You insert the tool inside the loop formed by the tip and the terminals that protrude from the gun and pull the trigger on. Hold the trigger on while you somewhat slowly (around 5 seconds) withdraw the tool to a distance of a foot or more. Then you can release the trigger. The tool should be demagnetized.

You can also use a variation of that method to magnetize the tool. Instead of moving the tool away before releasing the trigger, just release it while the tool is still in that loop. It is a hit and miss thing as the degree of magnetization depends on exactly when in the cycle the trigger is released, but you can test it and repeat the procedure until you get the result you want. And don't expect miracles, most tools will only become mildly magnetic.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Thanks for this, I've been having this problem and one of those little permanent magnet demagnetizers don't seem to work. I have an old fan and can do exactly the same thing, perfect!

Comment

This is timely info. I've got several microwave fans on the bench as well as some large drills that have become magnetized. I'll give Paul's method a shot first since there's also a couple of old Wellar soldering guns there too. Maybe it's time to clean off my bench, LOL.

And no you're not too new to post attachments, it's not possible for any of us here. Links, pictures and video works though.

Thanks for the link and welcome!
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

The fan coil will work better if you saw cut the iron between the coil and the motor stator's circular pole pieces, leaving a U-shaped iron core with the coil in the belly of the U. Cover the exposed iron core ends with some tape or thin plastic . Now you can lay a tool across the core ends and slowly draw it away with the power on. The flux density will be much higher with the motor pole pieces removed. One good way to use it is to put the iron core and coil in a plastic box with the core ends mounted against the underside of the box top. Then the top of the box becomes a good surface to lay tools on while the coil is protected inside.

RWO

Comment

Do these work. Magnetizer/de-magnetizer. JR

Wiha 40010 Magnetizer or Demagnetizer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=318038011

Comment

For demagging, I just use an old hand-held tape demagnetizer. IIRC it was sold by Radio Shack, I bought it for a buck or so at a sale. and immediately demagged everything I could find until I was tired of haring the buzz.

Just like this one, but a lot cheaper to buy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Realistic-M...-/401433698644
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  An old trick from the electronic types is to use a soldering gun to demagnetize small tools, like screwdrivers. You need the type of soldering gun that uses a loop of heavy gauge wire for the tip. You insert the tool inside the loop formed by the tip and the terminals that protrude from the gun and pull the trigger on. Hold the trigger on while you somewhat slowly (around 5 seconds) withdraw the tool to a distance of a foot or more. Then you can release the trigger. The tool should be demagnetized.

You can also use a variation of that method to magnetize the tool. Instead of moving the tool away before releasing the trigger, just release it while the tool is still in that loop. It is a hit and miss thing as the degree of magnetization depends on exactly when in the cycle the trigger is released, but you can test it and repeat the procedure until you get the result you want. And don't expect miracles, most tools will only become mildly magnetic.
                  That's what I use. Works fine.

Comment

Based on some advice from RWO above, I revised the motor to make the demagnetized more efficient.

By making the core into a "U" shape, the demagnetizing flux will be much stronger.

I would also like to add a note on using the demagnetizer.

Turn the unit on then move the object to the unit.

It is OK to let the object come in contact with unit.

Draw the object away from the unit at least 6 inches before de-energizing the unit.

Her is the link to thye photos.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1510287562

Be_Zero_Be
                    Poulsbo, WA
                    Be_Zero_Be
                    ------------------------------------------------------------
                    You Never Used To Be Older

Comment

Working...
                    X