Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juiceclone
    replied
    yeah, I have two similar ones on my lathe for a few years now.. Better than reading metric and guessing what it means. Accuracy pretty much depends on how well u manage to install them. The sensors do need protection from chips (u need to be able to clean them easily), and they seem to go thru batteries a little quick. Nothing terribly sophisticated, but they are usable and inexpensive.

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    replied
    Your eyes might be better than mine. I recently picked up a Kondia mill and it has one of those on the quill. I turned it on for the first time the other day. Not impressed. Very dim low contrast characters = super hard to read. In addition, the thing shuts off automatically after some short time (30 seconds?). And it interferes with the normal depth stop functionality.

metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    Originally posted by Danl View Post
    I have that exact model. I opted for the 1um linear encoders, $18 additional each. Manual in Chinglese. Overall, not really comparable to the $1000+ brand name units, but certainly better than a modified caliper version.

Dan L
    so whats wrong with them in comparison? are they magnetic?

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by elf View Post
    The accuracy is rather pitiful

There are two grades, at least there were when those were known as "igaging" products. One, when you worked out all the details, was probably good to somewhere between 4 and 7 thou error. The other was about half the error. Maybe.

Not good enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• elf
    replied
    Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post
    I've been offered a Trav-a-dial by the widow of an old friend. I was planning to mount it on my SB Heavy 10, but then I saw this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Digital-...sAAOSwl9BWHDIz

I'm skeptical, but tempted. Anyone have experience?
    The accuracy is rather pitiful

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    I had a Trav-a-dial. First on a mill, then on a lathe. They are better than nothing, but a DRO is waaay better. They are not nearly worth the asking price.

Leave a comment:

• MrWhoopee
    replied
    I just picked up the Trav-a-dial. It's a model 7A (metric and inch) with base and mounting bracket. Looks like mounting it might not be feasible on my SB. Besides, from what I'm seeing on eBay, it could bring enough to by a decent DRO with money leftover.

Leave a comment:

• BobinOK
    replied
    Look again the 3 in the group are all different lengths and price.

Leave a comment:

• Lew Hartswick
    replied
    Originally posted by RWO View Post
    I put this one on my lathe tailstock 2 years ago and I'm very happy with it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RWO
    Now that is interesting. individually less than $50. but three are nearly $200. :-)
    ...lew...

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    The trav-a-dial system seems to work, Do not have/use one myself, although I have been looking for one.

It covers the axis which is not covered by any other measuring device, and does not interfere with other operations. That would class it as useful, and worth your time to mount it.

Leave a comment:

• RWO
    replied
    I put this one on my lathe tailstock 2 years ago and I'm very happy with it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RWO

Leave a comment:

• softtail
    replied
    Those scale's in the link from MattiJ look identical to the scales I got from DRO Pros.

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    I have just taken one like the ebay one in the #1 post off of the Smart & Brown model A. It was unreliable to the point of not trusting it at all. It was also in the way of the newly reinstated taper turning attachment which is working very well.
    We have a similar type with a built in vertical scale on the quill of the drill-mill which has always worked perfectly.
    No muck got into the bad scale whilst in use, and since removing it and making sure it was clean inside and out, it still gives erratic readings.

Leave a comment:

• MrWhoopee
    replied
    Thanks, those are the answers I'm looking for. I learned to make parts on a Sheldon lathe with a 6 in. indicator for carriage travel. DRO's were expensive and rare. Simple is better for me, all the advanced features would (probably) go unused. I'm most concerned about accuracy, repeatability and durability. Looks like I could sell the Trav-a-dial and buy a decent DRO.

Leave a comment:

• Danl
    replied
    Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-AXIS-DRO-...4AAOSwu4BVn3KX

Still quite cheap compared to what DRO's used to cost but 10000x usability compared to the DRO in OP's link.
    I have that exact model. I opted for the 1um linear encoders, $18 additional each. Manual in Chinglese. Overall, not really comparable to the $1000+ brand name units, but certainly better than a modified caliper version.

Dan L

Leave a comment:

Working...
X