Internal Taper Measuring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
    I have been earning my living doing it this way for 60 years it is the fastest and easiest method that I have found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok that's simple enough. Thanks.

Would turning a steep stub taper, bluing it (or marker might be better) then putting it into the large end hole and twisting it to leave a mark so that the diam. at the mark could be measured with a caliper, be accurate enough for everyday jobs? I heard about this method but have not tried it.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
      Ok that's simple enough. Thanks.

Would turning a steep stub taper, bluing it (or marker might be better) then putting it into the large end hole and twisting it to leave a mark so that the diam. at the mark could be measured with a caliper, be accurate enough for everyday jobs? I heard about this method but have not tried it.
      The taper would have to be dead sharp at the large end. If it's rounded or a burr around the hole it would move the apparent diameter down or up the stub you're measuring.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
        The taper would have to be dead sharp at the large end. If it's rounded or a burr around the hole it would move the apparent diameter down or up the stub you're measuring.
        Here is how I measured many taper I mean hundreds The Caliper projection should be undercut and the front of the Caliper should be dead sharp

Comment

To damage my "expensive" Digimatic caliper or not to damage my "expensive" Digimatic caliper, that is the question. Worth thinking about.

Alas poor yogurt I knew you well.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Are you trying to set the compound or measure the taper? I read the answers and got lost.

Comment

A better way to set the top slide for a taper AND how to measure the large end hole diam.

Comment

Working...
              X