X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wygant
    replied
    Originally posted by JCHannum View Post
    I can't help with gears, but the Sheldon 11" machine had an 11-1/4" swing and 1-3/8" spindle bore. It was on the same bed as the 13" machine.

This link is for the lighter 10" machine, and does not show a 96T gear in the end gears. My later 13" machine has a 100T gear, but smaller gears are 40T, I suspect yours has the earlier QCGB as shown in the link.

The serial number should be on the right hand end of the bed between the ways. As far as I know all end gears are 16DP, 14-1/2* pressure angle across the line of these machines.

http://www.alberic.net/toolbox_index...int_Manual.pdf
    Thanks for the info....the numbers on the bed are c7 and s6677, don't know what they mean, but at least I know I have an 11" machine now. Found a gear on Amazon from Boston gear that matches up exactly, may try that. Pete

Leave a comment:

• alanganes
    replied
    I know lots of people hate Yahoo groups, but for all things Sheldon, get yourself to the Sheldon Lathe Yahoo Group. It is the internet home of one Mr. John Knox, who worked for Sheldon for some years and was (if I recall correctly) a manufacturing engineer there. He is a wealth of knowledge on such things. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to tell you exactly what you have.

You have to sign up, etc, but it's probably worth the trouble in this case.

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    I can't help with gears, but the Sheldon 11" machine had an 11-1/4" swing and 1-3/8" spindle bore. It was on the same bed as the 13" machine.

This link is for the lighter 10" machine, and does not show a 96T gear in the end gears. My later 13" machine has a 100T gear, but smaller gears are 40T, I suspect yours has the earlier QCGB as shown in the link.

The serial number should be on the right hand end of the bed between the ways. As far as I know all end gears are 16DP, 14-1/2* pressure angle across the line of these machines.

http://www.alberic.net/toolbox_index...int_Manual.pdf

Leave a comment:

• wygant
    started a topic How do I know what this Sheldon is?

How do I know what this Sheldon is?

WWII Sheldon lathe, no model # on the plate, just S.E.W.O.M., flaming bomb on the ways, measures a little more than 11" in swing, 1 3/8" spindle hole. Is this a heavy ten or an 11? Need to know so I can get the correct drive gear for fine threading, there is one on ebay right now, but I don't know if the 80 tooth per inch gear is correct to mesh with the 96 tooth gear, which I have. ??????? Pete
Working...
X