Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Has Firefox "updated you" yet? Do you like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I updated today and it works fine. It does seem faster. I backed up my bookmarks into an HTML file but it didn't affect them. Other than slightly faster it seems the same. OK by me.

Comment

If it removes bookmarks I'm screwed.

I think the only way to "back up" is to discs?
      That's how I did it once maybe a year ago.

Is the another way to do it or does it turn out nothing really happens to bookmarks?
      Win 7
      Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
        If it removes bookmarks I'm screwed.

I think the only way to "back up" is to discs?
        That's how I did it once maybe a year ago.

Is the another way to do it or does it turn out nothing really happens to bookmarks?
        Win 7
        Go to Firefox History. Click on Show All Bookmarks. Then click on Import and Backup. Click on Export Bookmarks to HTML. You can save the Bookmark HTML file to a folder of your choosing.

That said, as mentioned above, it didn't bother my bookmarks when I updated.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
          Not for Jerry, but for those who are concerned about future versions of Firefox, you can read the release notes before they release the newest versinons. Just go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/ and check out the "changenotes".

Dan
          Except the release notes say "A redesigned interface with a clean, modern appearance, consistent visual elements, and optimizations for touch screens" instead of "A redesigned interface that is BUTT UGLY and will make it twice as hard to perform the tasked you are used to doing."
          Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Oddly, FF updated while I was reading this thread.
            In my case my bookmarks and passwords seem to have been moved over fine.

Comment

If your bookmarks were on the bookmark toolbar, make sure it is turned on or you will not see them.

You also need to click on the bookmark icon in the top right, then click on bookmarks then bookmarking tools then show bookmarking tool from menu. That will allow you to access the old drop down bookmarking menu. Mine was turned off after the upgrade.
              Last edited by polaraligned; 11-15-2017, 06:38 AM.

Comment

After reading this thread last night I made sure the "notify me" box for updates was clicked.

Yeah, well, too damn bad for me regarding what I want!

Lit off this morning and as I was looking at emails I noticed Firefox was updating!!

Fears unfounded though as I could access bookmarks from upper left, then I did as polaraligned suggested and all is well.

"...nothing to fear but fear itself!".
                Len

Comment

56 was bad enough, but 57 was a total disaster as far as my addons go. I went back to 56 and turned off the automatic updates. Hopefully that setting holds. I tried to update my "legacy" extensions, but there were no new "WE" versions for most of them. I'll wait and see it the extension developers update their extensions to the "WE" format, hopefully they do. Been using Firefox since it was a beta Phoenix browser. Tried Chrome, Opera, IE, Edge, and who knows whar else. I have loaded "Pale Moon" and that looks like it has real possibilities.
                  CPeter
                  Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

I'm not sure why you folks are having trouble with the latest Firefox update. In my case, the update was optional. I received an email with a link suggesting that I try their new update. I did and it's great!

It's noticeably faster in moving from site to site and page to page within a site. What's not to like?

For the record (That's a legal term), I've tried all of the other browsers that I could find at one time or another in the past years since I've been on the Internet and Firefox is the best of all of them.

Could the problem be insufficient memory in the complainers' computers or handheld devices?

Comment

If your bookmarks disappear another thing to try is click on the Open Menu button in the upper right (the 3 or 4 horizontal bars). Click on customize. Look for a star with a piece of channel under it. That is the bookmark menu button. Drag it up to the toolbar at the top with the - 100% + on it and drop it on the toolbar. You can click on this button and all your bookmarks, folders, etc should be there.

Comment

Originally posted by GNM109 View Post
                        I'm not sure why you folks are having trouble with the latest Firefox update. In my case, the update was optional. I received an email with a link suggesting that I try their new update. I did and it's great!
                        Could the problem be insufficient memory in the complainers' computers or handheld devices?
                        Once totally re-set-up, there is nothing wrong with the new version, really, other than remembering where everything has been moved to. It is probably all there, but it is a question of finding it.

The biggest problem is that there was NO NOTICE of a MAJOR change.

And no option to wait, because they turned off my "notify" setting previously. Not that the notification would matter, IIRC all it says is "there is a new version", no comment about what is changed.

And, they"moved my cheese".... stuff is all in different places, and some things were hidden, etc. No memory issues, so you can just forget about that.

And, this all happened first on a tablet that I needed to use for something right away (not screw with learning a new thing first), and tablet of course has no mouse, so it was even more difficult to deal with all the changes until I went to the laptop.

Bottom line: overall, they managed to make me look bad in a situation that I did not want to look bad in..... IMO, handled very badly by the developers. Should have popped a window for delaying the update mentioning the big changes.

Now I have to remember what I did to the laptop, get a mouse on the tablet, and do those things to the tablet also. And, then to the 4 other computers...... so that they all operate the same way.
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 11-15-2017, 10:40 AM.
                        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                          Bottom line: overall, they managed to make me look bad in a situation that I did not want to look bad in.....
                          You do it to yourself all the time so what's the big deal?

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                            Once totally re-set-up, there is nothing wrong with the new version, really, other than remembering where everything has been moved to. It is probably all there, but it is a question of finding it.

The biggest problem is that there was NO NOTICE of a MAJOR change.
                            So you didn't notice or see all the talk for the last 60 days coming from Mozilla on this major new release? I'm far from any kind of computer geek and even I was aware of this change was coming. At least you getting things solved and squared away.
                            If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

commonly used bookmarks - as in "top sites" when you open a new tab?

The update changes it like 5 icons and a bunch of other BS they think you want. BUT, its easy to change - use the following to change the number of rows and columns you want. With this done, I like the new version. the following is quoted from their help forum

Type about:config into the address bar, press Enter, accept the warning, scroll down to browser.newtab.preload and double click on it to change 'Value' from True to False.

It is also possible in about:config to change the maximum number of tiles, by scrolling down to browser.newtabpage.columns (or .rows), then right click > Modify, to set a new number in 'Value.'
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
                                So you didn't notice or see all the talk for the last 60 days coming from Mozilla on this major new release? I'm far from any kind of computer geek and even I was aware of this change was coming. At least you getting things solved and squared away.
                                No, I certainly received no information about it, and I have not seen any talk on any boards. So, no I did not see it, or if I did see anything, I had no release date info and no reason to remember about it, as surely there would be a pre-release announcement.

There have been some extra information windows come up for Firefox, but nothing I recall being for a new release. Seems as if the ones I recall were for other things.

I expect many people had no idea it was coming, and/or when. WHEN being an important operative word.

It would have been courteous to provide a pop up window at time of install that said "this will make major changes to Firefox, do you want to install now, or delay installation?"
                                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
                                X