Cheap drill chuck arbors vs Jacobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap drill chuck arbors vs Jacobs

I got a good deal on an Albrecht chuck off ebay to put in my drill press but I need a new arbor to mount it (2MT to 6JT). So now I'm torn if I should shell out the money for a Jacobs or other "high quality" arbor or just buy a couple cheap imports and use the one with the lowest run-out. I've measure the run-out on the taper of my drill press to be around 1 thou so I'd like to keep it decent but I'm not making aerospace parts or anything.

What are people's experiences with the cheap arbors? It is ~$25 for a Jacobs brand (which is also made in China) but I can get a Shars or MSC value line for $5-10, is it worth it for the more expensive arbors?

The Jacobs arbors are all made in China now so for me I'd rather get a good deal than pay Jacobs premium prices for the same junk. You may be able to find a NOS Jacobs from England around. Or buy an Albrecht or other quality arbor.
    Mike
    Central Ohio, USA

Comment

I found a couple of new old stock Jacobs arbors on ebay for about the same price as a new one. Also just found a NOS Rohm arbor in the size I need for a bit cheaper and am considering that.

I got the chuck for about $35 shipped so I was hoping to get away with a cheap arbor but I'm thinking more and more that it isn't worth it.

Comment

As Ohio Mike said, go for the better deal, I recently bought two MT2 arbors, one from McMaster ( made in france ) and one from Victor Machinery ( Jacobs made in China )
        both measure close to specs, another arbor purchased from Shars was about the same.

Comment

Using the one with the smallest run out is indeed the way to go, you won't know for sure until they are a unit.
          We have a new Albrecht at the museum, but as luck would have it, the Kawasaki chuck runs truer and gets all the use.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I've been planning to grab a couple things from Shars anyways so I'll probably grab a couple of arbors from them and hope for the best.

Comment

Old Mart, I bought a couple of those Kawasaki chucks you highlighted. I gave one to my machinist friend, we are both very pleased with them. In fact I think he bought a further two. It's certainly my go to chuck for smaller sizes. I managed to find old stock Jacobs arbors and paid very little for them at Drill Services in Horley.
              West Sussex UK

Comment

I just bought a new (judging from the wrapping) Cushman (so the ad said, no markings) 3/4 to 33JT on eBay for $9.00, free shipping. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Chinese arbor if I hadn't found one. Given that you're using it in a drill press, go for the bargain.
                It's all mind over matter.
                If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

I have had very good luck with the Chinese arbors. The ones I have bought had less than .001 runout.
                  Kansas City area

Comment

A part that gets ground between centers ought to be pretty easy to have a very low runout. I will also tell you that Jacobs chucks are no longer a premium quality tool. Everyone bitches about needing to go through a couple just to find a good new one. I am glad that our mill came with 4 1/4" Jacobs Super Chucks, and 3 1/2" Jacobs Super Chucks, that are all 20 years old!

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                      A part that gets ground between centers ought to be pretty easy to have a very low runout. I will also tell you that Jacobs chucks are no longer a premium quality tool. Everyone bitches about needing to go through a couple just to find a good new one. I am glad that our mill came with 4 1/4" Jacobs Super Chucks, and 3 1/2" Jacobs Super Chucks, that are all 20 years old!
                      Do you have experience with the new high end Jacobs chucks?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X