O/T: Thinning epoxy for use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elf View Post
    Just filling it with epoxy isn't going to fix the underlying reason it cracked. I would at least combine Post #7 with epoxy as well as drilling a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from splitting more. File the hole with a slightly undersized dowel so it doesn't add more stress.
    Once it's oiled down properly it won't move much. This is simply a case of the factory using wood that was not properly dried It shrunk and split as a result.

I would not use raw veggie oil. I did that on an older cutting board. Before it could polymerize or as a result of using it, washing it and re-oiling it the oil in the board went rancid as evidenced by a not nice smell. Deeply washing it fixed that issue. But at that point I didn't use that board any more. It was about three years old at the time.

I also found that the veggie oil grabbed and held airborne dust more than some other options. About once a month I'd scrape it with my kitchen knife before sharpening it and the black crud that came off was enough to gag a maggot. Doing the same with the mineral oiled board has not showed the same black stuff. Mind you I only cut bread on that one.... But I think part of the success is that when I do wipe it down the mineral oil comes out easily compared to veggie oil. And that aids in keeping the wood cleaner even if it means more frequent oiling.
    Last edited by BCRider; 11-18-2017, 01:24 AM.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Why not cut a piece out carefully and re-glue in a new piece and sand when dry. I think this is the only way to make it reasonably invisible mend. Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

That is the way I have done it many times in my career as a woodworker. Use a bandsaw and a belt sander to make thin wedges. A little titebond on both faces and in the check and drive them home. Trim with a sharp chisel and you will have an expert repair. If your real tricky you can even match the grain closely.

Comment

Working...
        X