Coveralls or shop coats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coveralls or shop coats?

Made a few chips this evening on a project I want to get a little further on before sharing. Just using a flycutter to clean up the stock at this point. But the sweat shirt I was wearing looked caught and held a fist full of small curly swarf off the cutter. Took me a good 10 minutes to clean it off so I couldn't feel them any longer. Just glad they were small soft and not barbed ! ! ! !

But it's making me think that a light shop coat or coveralls might not be a bad idea. I'd prefer the coat just because it's easier to slip on and off.

But at the same time I would be concerned with using either on the lathe due to the usually quite baggy sleeves.

Anyone out there got a solution? Garters on the sleeves for when they need to be pulled up out of the way of the lathe chuck? A hat with a light duty derrick for sleeve retraction via cables that run down in the sleeves? I'm all eyes!

EDIT- Sure nothing like a flycutter to confirm if your mill head is in tram or not. Took a bit of tweaking to tune that sucka up ! ! ! ! And yet when I did tram it the dial gauge showed it was within a pretty small amount side to side.
    Last edited by BCRider; 11-15-2017, 02:16 AM.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

I'd go for tight fitting coat.
    I use these:
    https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...rn-surplus/838

Sleeves are rather short and definitely not baggy.
    Originally they were 1 euros (1.2usd) per piece but now the price has increased to 2.49eur!

(same shop has also overalls but stay away from those)
    https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...s-surplus/6949
    https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...-surplus/11631

Comment

I don't think the links are working correctly. Your first link takes me to just a long sleeve shirt. And the one for "overalls" takes me to a couple of outfits that look like they would be all the rage at a nuclear or biological disaster.... My shop isn't THAT bad ! ! ! !
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Yeah, "Field shirt" as they call it. It has also a zipper and I just wear it on top of everything else.
        Not big fan of lab/workshop coat style with hanging sleeves.
        Last edited by MattiJ; 11-15-2017, 03:27 AM.

Comment

I just wear overalls because I have them and lab coats aren't available in the local farm shop. However on reflection a 'fasten at back' type would be a good idea. I got very used to doing a bow up behind my back when I worked in a clean room.

Comment

In the warmer months I wear an apron. When it gets chilly in the basement I have an old shop jacket. It's an old "mechanic" jacket that has some decent insulation but I cut the sleeves off.

Comment

I use an apron. I used to use a lab coat with the sleeves converted to short-sleeved, but the apron is more convenient. But I also wear my "scruffy" clothes in the shop, i.e. stuff that isn't presentable for wear in public.

Comment

Hate "lab coats". Everything that you're told not to wear near rotating machines. Loose, baggy sleeves. Pockets or slits that catch on every lever and hand wheel at hip level. I just wear close fitting closes that I don't have much investment in...Goodwill.

Ken

Comment

I usually wear a denim apron in the shop if I am machining.

Brian
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

30+ years ago I was on a job needing to get inside a quench tank in Taichung.
                    Found a pair of surplus Taiwan Navy overalls in an alley plumbing store.

Labelled Sergio Valente - a USA clothing company.
                    Still use them occasionally and amazingly, they still fit!

In the shop in winter I wear cheap jeans along with some surplus fire rated shirts.
                    The warmest is a Nomex/Aramid pull-over hoody.

Comment

Lab coats are great........

EXCEPT that they rarely button close to the neck, so the chips get on you anyway, at the top.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Knee length denim apron. In the colder months an $8 Walmart/Bangladesh long sleeve shirt.
                        Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

just wear a pair of shorts, then the chips will either bounce off your chest or you can pick them out of your chest hair later. Gives you good feedback on chip temperature too.

I should probably get an apron one of these days.

Other alternative - contain the chips at source. Make a plastic or cardboard shield held by a mag base and place it in the flow of chips, it'll make clean up waaaay easier.

Comment

I used to wear a t-shirt then started wearing a hardware store apron that's been in the shop cupboard for years. I think it came with a bunch of auction stuff. Didn't take this shop wizard long to figure out you need to wear them with the pockets on the inside. I bought a piece of Lexan and an extra magnetic base to fabricate a shield. After making that, I can get rid of the cardboard I've been hanging off the fine down feed wheel and look like a pro.

I'm looking for something to make way covers out of. I can't see $300 for way covers when I can get a whole set of auto floor board covers for $10.

Comment

No long sleeves, no gloves, no rings, no dangling chains, secure your ponytail/braid behind your back.

I had a co-worker who always wore a flannel shirt with the tail out because of his overhang. He nearly ate the chuck on a lathe when the tail got wrapped up in the lead screw. Fortunately, the shirt split down the back.

Aprons are great, as long as they are close fitting. The shop I apprenticed in was too crowded to roll your toolbox to the machine. I made an apron from old Levis (picture a Levi skirt) with the bib from a leg and swing pocket (for mic, scales etc.) from a back pocket. It was a wearable toolbox.
                              It's all mind over matter.
                              If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X