Machinable Non Compressable Insulator And Other Materials Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machinable Non Compressable Insulator And Other Materials Choices

I've decided I need to make some electrical tool height setters for my machines with a fairly small foot print.* I've figure out my design so they will have a lot of over travel and good repeatability, but I am wondering about the anvil or touch surface.* The analog indicator type I am using now seem to have a steel surface, but they are softer than the tools and they will ding fairly easily if you make a mistake.* Because I do a lot of flood machining I was thinking stainless might be the ticket.* 304 for the body, and 303 or 416L for the anvil with an acetal insulator.* A harder machinable insulator might be better, but I am not sure what.

Definitely NOT something like HDPE since its compressible, and spring pressure over time might cause it to extrude and drift. I don't really have room for an off material setter to to be used all the time.* Adding soft buttons and macros to semi automate the tool height set is pretty easy for my controls.* It would improve my machine times, and reduce my necessity to deburr between tool changes more easily creating consistent parts.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Have you considered machinable ceramics such as macor?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

That's an option and it may work. I notice they list its thermal properties.

I guess I should have specified electrical insulator. I see it is an electrical insulator too. I wonder how it will hold up to the anvil coming back up against it repeatedly.
      Last edited by Bob La Londe; 11-16-2017, 04:25 PM.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

round carbide insert glued to sheet of aluminium oxide?
        Wont get much harder than that.

Comment

Check out the different kinds of Garolite at www.mcmaster.com.
          Kansas City area

Comment

If you can get your hand on some ceramic circuit board substrate, it's extremely flat, hard and insulating. Compressive stress is at 2600MPa, I recall as I spent half of yesterday browsing ceramic substrate datasheets.....
            If you bond a hard metal to it you should be golden.

Comment

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
              If you can get your hand on some ceramic circuit board substrate, it's extremely flat, hard and insulating. Compressive stress is at 2600MPa, I recall as I spent half of yesterday browsing ceramic substrate datasheets.....
              If you bond a hard metal to it you should be golden.
              Easy peasy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-TO-24...EAAOSw3ydV2IXy

Machinable... well diamond grinding..

Comment

G10 maybe? Fiberglass composite, extremely durable, easy to machine though it it a little hard on tooling. Cuts well but its pretty abrasive

Comment

Working...
                X