Funny Story--some tech content.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny Story--some tech content.

I just had another one of my stories published in Our Canada magazine. It is a true story from the 1950's, and gives a bit of insight into the technical person that I have been all of my life. Hope you enjoy it.---Brian
    Deep Sea Diving—L’Amable Style
    Back in the 1950's I was a kid with an enquiring mind, and was fascinated by Jack Costeau and Lloyd Bridges on "Sea Hunt". I decided to build a diving bell---sort of. I took an old 5 gallon pail and soldered a hose connection to the bottom. The local lake was shallow--only about 16 foot of water. I punched about 6 holes around the upper rim of the pail to give me attachment points for ropes and tied 6 cement blocks to 5 foot lengths of rope, rowed out to the center of the lake with one of my friends and an old manual tire pump, and pitched the whole business over the side of the boat. I had stolen my father’s garden hose, and hooked one end to the spigot on the bottom of the pail and clamped the other end to the hose outlet on the tire pump. As we pumped the tire pump, water was displaced from the pail and it floated up to the extent the ropes on the cement blocks would let it.--still about 10 foot below the surface of the lake. My theory was, I should be able to dive down, and come up with my head inside the pail to breath, thus never having to surface. It did work. Gave me one hell of a headache and made me feel a bit weird for the rest of the afternoon, but it worked. I stayed down under water for about half an hour, then began to feel weird enough that I decided it was time to quit. I thought I might have the "bends" but I was afraid to tell my father in case he killed me for cutting up his garden hose.---Damn, I'm amazed that I survived my childhood!!!----Brian Rupnow—August 2013

(Lamable is the small village of about 80 people where I grew up, near Bancroft Ontario.)
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Good story!
    Amazing that any of us survived childhood eh?
    Cheers,
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
      Amazing that any of us survived childhood eh?
      Yep, as a child I had legitimate store bought "toys" that today would be considered lethal weapons.

We won't talk about the things I did with fireworks in my teens.

Great story, Brian.
      Last edited by Bluechips; 11-18-2017, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Cool story
        Must have been carbon dioxide poisoning that made you sick.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
          Cool story
          Must have been carbon dioxide poisoning that made you sick.
          There was probably some oil vapor from the bicycle pump, too.

Comment

My uncles called me "bucket head" until I was a late teenager. But I never tried submarining.

Mayes me wonder. My family had a nick name for nearly every member. Some times I didn't know their proper name for years.
            Is this common in other families?
            Last edited by 1-800miner; 11-19-2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

and maybe not so funny . . .

I remember reading an article in a scuba diving magazine some years ago about a kid at a YMCA pool doing what you describe. He left the pool with a headache and a short time later died. It was determined that the cause of death was an air embolism.

Everybody's physiology is different but in some people it only takes a couple feet of differential pressure as you rise in the water to force an embolism. If you'd been a little deeper, if you'd held your breath all the way to the surface, (something your taught not to do if you take scuba lessons), or if your buddies had pumped a little harder you might have ended up the same way as the kid in the article.

You probably gave yourself a small stroke (my non-medical point of view) and survived it. I hope the kids that see your article and try this are as fortunate.

< Rant off>

Comment

Growing up at about 12 years old I use to help my old neighbor spray his apple orchard he always told me if the mist comes toward you to just turn and hold your breath, I also think that the chemicals that I did breathe has helped me stay healthy all these years, LOL, the only meds I take are Metformen for prediabetes .

Comment

As Matt said it was probably CO2, even 16' of water the pressure can cause some odd changes to solubility, I think you definately took too much notice of the adverts on the back of comics (I did, sea monkeys, how cool is that, xray specs and one man submarine, some of us were content to dream but I think you fell into the "I'm doing that" group, not many survived!)
                  A fascinating story is that of an amateur scientist called viscount haldane, he experimented on his wife and son to come up with the first decompression tables, he used goats and dogs too, he was a real ex centric, couldent wait to join the army so he would have the opportunity to shoot people, apparently in his own words, visitors would often get gassed till they passed out.
                  Nice story
                  Mark

Comment

Bobslad--I also sent away for one of those "Throw your voice--be a ventriloquist" things. When it arrived it was a little piece of tin with some kind of very thin plastic attached to it. You were supposed to hold it in your mouth and use it to make it appear that your voice came from somewhere else. After 2 days of squeaking at people I coughed and damn near swallowed the thing. That was the end of that adventure.
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I remember when I figured out what the trick with sea monkeys was, the packet called water conditioner was the brine shrimp eggs, you put that in 24 hrs before the sea monkey packet, which was in fact blue dye, the buggers were there all along, when you dropped the dye in the transparent shrimp became visible in seconds, clever old bugger, but the artwork really got you hooked, man was a genius
                      As a young guy I tried diving, I actually got a licence thing PADI I think, it was bloody awful, the test was in a resivoir called ponstiketh, really deep and cold, very cold, it was like somthing from the film men of honour, hypothermia was a real thing, they stopped testing divers there after a guy had a heart attack, blood thickened up I was told, can beleive it, inky freezing blackness, definately not the barrier reef, but according to my mate similar to the North Sea without the salt!
                      Thank god they weren't selling hang gliders!
                      Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X