No announcement yet.

Sizing a Quick Change Tool Post for a Grizzly G9249

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I have an 11" Logan and an AXA works just fine for most things but I also have a BXA set for some larger tools. I don't use the BXA much because it is a little on the large side"

I have a new-to-me 11 Logan and a Grizzly G4002. The G4002 has a BXA size tool post and I have 10 holders for it. I want to get t tool post for the Logan and figured I would get a BXA size as I could use the holders on both machines. I will have to machine the shank on the tool post to get it to fit the Logan, but other than that it looks like It would go. I am glad to see that you are using the BXA size and I will order one for my Logan.
    CPeter
    Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Anyone have one from Shars?

http://www.shars.com/quick-change-to...e-type-222-bxa

Good/bad... I am a home shop.

Comment

Yep. I bought their wedge style package. It works fine. The mating surfaces are ground and polished were it counts. I have the AXA size on a 9x20.

It locks up solidly. It repeats well when swapping tools in and out. Checked against a simple mechanic's square, the bottom of the toolpost is square so you don't loose the cutting edge height as you rotate it to another angle.

I seldom swap out the tools in the holders, so I can't attest to the longevity of the setscrews used in the tool holders.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I was agnostic on the issue of piston-vs-wedge for a number of years,until I bought a wedge type to replace a turret post on one of our lathes at work.I found it to be much more rigid than the piston type we had on our other lathe,especially when parting.I was satisfied enough with the improvement that I bought one for my 9x20 for home use.I bought it from CDCO the kit was only $120 and I bought 15 extra holders at the same time.The post and holders are good,the setscrews are garbage so I bought 100 each M8 x 30mm setscrews from McMaster to replace them.

I also took John Stevenson's advice and removed the top slide mounting the tool post directly to the cross slide.His contention that the top slide is only needed for maybe 5% of lathe work I find to be correct.Having it on there only reduces rigidity which in a small lathe is a valuable commodity.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
          X