O/T Post Flooring? Need help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T Post Flooring? Need help!!

Well.. Flood Number 4 in about 4 years in my Home. Basement which was rented out. Reliance Home heating has caused 3 floods so far, Man...amazing! Anyhow on bare concrete what would yo suggest as for a warm nice floor thats a bit water resistant? I was gonna go with this plastic floor membrane that raises the floor layer about a half inch then put blue foam one inch thick on top with snap vinyl tiles? Any hints tips would be truly appreciated. Thanx Guys . This is really cutting into my Hobby Shop Time.

Seeing as your basement is a flood plain I'd go with rubber stable matting, cheap, waterproof, and washable, bit heavy but worth it
    Mark

Comment

Huh???... I need a warm moisture proof floor Like foam right on top of the concrete perhaps? and maybe tile on top of the foam ? Ive been to different flooring stores and get different answers from each. Quite stupid some of them ,they only know how to sell they're crap and not much else it seems. Thanx for the reply though.!

Comment

Originally posted by madman View Post
        Well.. Flood Number 4 in about 4 years in my Home. Basement which was rented out. Reliance Home heating has caused 3 floods so far, Man...amazing! Anyhow on bare concrete what would yo suggest as for a warm nice floor thats a bit water resistant? I was gonna go with this plastic floor membrane that raises the floor layer about a half inch then put blue foam one inch thick on top with snap vinyl tiles? Any hints tips would be truly appreciated. Thanx Guys . This is really cutting into my Hobby Shop Time.
        Your plan sounds good. I've been told by numerous sources (people and professionals who do this for a living) to not buy the floor specific membrane that's bonded to the 2ft square Osb, but the foundation stuff. They say it's the same thing, and is cheaper. I'm in the middle of renovating my basement too, and will be doing the same when I finish it. Membrane, foam, laminate flooring.

Whatever you do, don't lay down tar paper, then foam embedded with wood strapping, then plywood, then tongue and groove oak. That's what I just removed and boy what a mess. The years of water damage caused by shoddy plumbing (same guy who did the floor) has made quite the chore cleaning it up. I've lost track how many times I've scrubbed that floor now and the black is just starting to come up.

Water heater floods? I have a rental through them. Was transferred to me when we bought the house in 2010. So far so good, but a guy i work with has had a few nightmares with them. If anything ever happens to mine, I'll cancel to contract and replace on my own.

Comment

I just installed some SmartCore vinyl flooring which is in planks like a laminate and boasts to be waterproof. I put it in the entrance way and it installs on any stable surface. It comes in various colors and the grey color we bought barely shows a seam. It is relatively easy to install by connecting all the ends of a row and then installing them as one piece. I found it at a local big box store and the wife approved so in it went. Mike

Comment

If it's the water heater which keeps going and causing a flood then before you lay anything I'd suggest putting in a floor drain in the area of the tank and either lift the tank and put it into a catch basin intended for use with the tanks or make up a mortar dam around the tank with a run to the floor drain.

If you don't have a place to run a line for this floor drain then punch out a little more floor and dig out a pit which you line with filter cloth then fill with fairly coarse drain rock. Something the size of half a 45gal drum should do the trick. But more is better of course.

Either way when you install the floor drain be sure it has a trap which you fill regularly to keep the ground gases at bay. We're supposed to run some drain water out of the hot water tanks fairly regularly anyway so doing that once a month or so is one way to keep the trap filled. Or rig up a slow drip gizmo. Or just keep a little pot handy at the washing machine and whenever you do some loads of laundry dump a cup or two down the drain to keep the trap filled.

I'm a big fan of sealing the concrete first before putting down any membrane. Might as well keep as much as you can right in the concrete instead of letting it come up at all. After that whatever is reasonably priced and suits your needs.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I wouldn't put laminate flooring below grade. I have the mats Marks speaking of & think there great & would work fine & would but a pit & sump pump in.

Comment

Im going to buy 4 ft by 8 ft foam cut slits in it every 4 inches like a tic tac toe game, lay the slit cut foam down on the bare clean concrete then put tile right over it? What you think of that?One guy told me 3/4 plywood over the foam? I think if vinyl tiles thick enough right over the foam would be good. I thought of the Plastic membrane before but it would promote moisture against the concrete, best is foam with air channels right on the cement floor, That part I have figured but the vinyl tile being supportive enough with out the wood I find questionable. Yet I think it may work, Hate to sound stupid but I wanted it done right, Ive had some real dumb ass answers from The flooring stores around here. Thanx Guys Mike

Comment

Smart Core Vinyl?

Check out the first review stuff sounds ****ty!!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions...ors-from-lowes

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions...ors-from-lowes

Comment

I am in the process of finishing the basement in my newly built house. I don't have a water problem (yet). I initially installed Insulfloor board as the initial underfloor product. Here is a link to it. Next I installed a vinyl floor product from Shaw flooring in the US. Here is a link to that product. Both products installed easily and the flooring looks great. It went to together quite easily and being vinyl is technically waterproof. The subfloor insulation has grooves in it that allow the water to technically migrate to the low spot which hopefully is your floor drain. Whether that really happens won't know until I get some water down there. Here's hoping that never happens. Good luck with your project.

Harold

Comment

I had my basement flood several years ago, a combination of a broken pipe (so it was potable water) and tree roots that severely slowed the flow of water out the drain to the sewer line. When I got the water drained I vacuumed up as much of the water in the flooring as I could and then a friend helped me roll the thing up and carry it upstairs when we hung it over the fence to dry out. Once dry I could handle it myself so down it went again and it's still in as good of shape as it ever was. That's the joy of plain old Ozite carpeting.

Comment

Working...
                      X