welding stainless steel with ac stick weldler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding stainless steel with ac stick weldler

I made a post on the welding site and received a very helpful post from" magicniner" but I thought I would ask the same question here on the General site.
    I am thinking about making a small wood burning stove for emergency use. I plan on using a 15 gallon stainless beer keg. I will need to cut off a slice down the side and weld a flat plate for cooking (the keg will be mounted horizontally on legs). I will need to put a collar of some sort at one end of the flat for a 3 or 4 inch stove pipe. I plan on a door with adjustable air intake in one end of the keg.
    Now comes the tricky part, can I weld this up with either a A/C stick welder or Oxy/acetylene welder. I have had reasonably good luck with brazing stainless. With out a TIG or Mig welders, do I have any other choices. I have read a little on the internet about some welding rod for a ac stick welder and some on Oxy/acetylene welding. one of the online sites recommended 309 rod, is this reasonable ?

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

309L is good for a variety of SS and SS to CS welds, but I don't know how it would perform with an OA torch. One thing I'm sure of is that if you don't back-purge that setup or use 'SolarFlux' on the backside you will have very extensive oxidation on that side. It will be crusty and black.
    Southwest Utah

Comment

Hi,

Yes you can. Depending on the type of stainless, use e308 or e316 for low carbon stainless. Your problem will be that the keg walls might be too thin to weld with stick. I don't know if 1/16" stainless rod is available or not.
      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Although I've only used 309 with a DC power source I know that it is also suitable for use with AC.
        Of the 3 electrode types recommended (309,310,312) for welding dissimilar stainless steels and stainless to mild steel 309 is probably the most popular and easy to find.
        I've never had any issues using it although you'll want to select a 1/16" rod in order to help prevent burn-thru on the light gauge metal you'll be welding. The smallest I've got on hand is 3/32" which should be doable but 1/16" would be easier. It is available in that size, although not as readily available as 3/32 or 1/8, at least in my area.
        Last edited by Willy; 11-21-2017, 09:04 AM.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

yes, dalee100, 1/16 is available but I don't think I have ever used that small of Arc welding rod. has any of you used that small of rod?

Oregon Coast

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
            yes, dalee100, 1/16 is available but I don't think I have ever used that small of Arc welding rod. has any of you used that small of rod?
            Not in 309, but yes 1/16" is a very welcome surprise when doing low amperage/light gauge metal fabrication. Especially when you're used to doing the same type of work with 3/32 or 1/8, much more forgiving and more tolerant of using a not perfect technique and setup.
            If you're a little rusty or unsure of what's required the 1/16 rod will flatten the learning curve substantially.

Comment

Thanks guys, you have been a big help. I had no Idea that I could weld SS with my AC welder. Now I will go to the metal recyclers and look for some material. I will post some photos of my project when I get started on it. Thanks for the help.

Oregon Coast

Comment

A little additional info on what to expect in regards to the characteristics of using 309 electrode.

One of my favorite YouTube channels is Weld.com hosted by the welding instructor of Cowley College, Bob Moffatt. Bob puts out two very well produced an informative welding videos twice a week, Monday and Friday. It seems I remember him covering 309 electrode not too long ago and thought the insight he gave may be of interest.

This one from last Dec. Have a look, and for those interested, I believe his channel is every bit as informative and professional as Jody's excellent Welding Tips and Tricks channel.

Tips for Stick Welding Carbon Steel to Stainless Steel

Comment

Yes, Willy, that is the video that got me thinking, hell yes, maybe I can do this project after all. thanks for all the good info.

Oregon Coast

Comment

Just an fyi if it hasn't been mentioned yet. Stainless likes to warp up like a taco. A wood burning stove made of stainless will turn all sorts of funny shapes after much use.
                    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

I've never had any issues using it although you'll want to select a 1/6' rod in order to help prevent burn-thru ......
                      1/6th of a foot, huh? That's 2 inches! That's a real man sized rod.
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                        1/6th of a foot, huh? That's 2 inches! That's a real man sized rod.
                        Oh boy yeah, I better straighten than out just in case someone goes looking for a 2 in. electrode. LOL
                        Even 1/16' works out to .75 in.. Still a little large for most home shop guys!

Comment

Mcmaster Carr has 1/16” ss rods that work well on AC in 1 lb package too.

Comment

Your beer keg is most likely some form of 304L stainless, and while you can weld it, it may be susceptible to hot cracking. I wouldn't recommend using stainless for a wood burning appliance, because problems will occur in the 500-900C (900-1650F) temperature range.
                            The heat affected zone will be considerably less corrosion resistant.

Comment

Wish you were closer. I have 12lbs of this rod and would letcha have what you need. I like it and it is nice and small. JR

Comment

Working...
                              X