Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marginally OT: I wanna be a spaceman too!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marginally OT: I wanna be a spaceman too!?

Whooo boy. This guy plans to launch himself in a home made steam powered rocket.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Smart enough to build a rocket, but yet still believes the earth is flat. I'm truly at a loss for words.

Comment

Darwin must be smiling...
      Kansas City area

Comment

The thing is, he's already launched himself a couple of times. He's going for bigger and better. He manages to do all this stuff way on the cheap, he's a limo driver or something like that, not a wealthy eccentric.

A bit nuts to be sure, but you sure can't accuse the guy of not going all in.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
          Darwin must be smiling...
          The wife and I read that story earlier today. I read her the above quote, we both had a good laugh.
          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
            The wife and I read that story earlier today. I read her the above quote, we both had a good laugh.
            Good to see you posting!

How are you doing otherwise??

Had meant to mention that proponents of medical marijuana had some rather convincing arguments for the use of hemp oil. Claims like CURING prostate, brain related cancers.....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/.../...re/article3666...

Comment

Remember the lawn chair & balloon guy, it worked & he planned it out more than reported.

I know that marijuana legal users could not hold CPLs & heard that legal growers couldn't have firearms on site. Anyone know if this is true? If so it's a kill zone & another crazy law.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                Smart enough to build a rocket, but yet still believes the earth is flat. I'm truly at a loss for words.
                To me, this is no different than a religious person. He truly believes the earth is flat and discards the science that suggests otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by bob_s View Post
                  Good to see you posting!

How are you doing otherwise??

Had meant to mention that proponents of medical marijuana had some rather convincing arguments for the use of hemp oil. Claims like CURING prostate, brain related cancers.....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/.../...re/article3666...
                  Would that my Doctors were convinced... Claims abound on the internet.

I moved some text in this post to "The Great Lump of Stupid" thread to keep all the related info in one place.
                  http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...Lump-of-Stupid
                  Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                  ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

A close reading of the article indicates he is a recent conversion to Flat earther. A cynic might say he did it just for the money. He's a whack job but he's not ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich View Post
                      ..... He's a whack job but he's not ignorant.
                      It's VERY difficult to see that as true. Perhaps "crazy like a fox" might work........

If, as seems reasonably likely, he manages to kill himself in the attempt, I suppose that will be just because the various low down lying round-earthers sabotaged his attempt so that they would not be exposed as the liars they are.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I was reading another article about this guy, where he describes how he disbelieves all science, equating science with science fiction. And that what he's doing isn't based on science, but rather "just plugging numbers into formulas".

I don't think he believes how people came up with those formulae he's using...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                          It's called marketing!
                          Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                          Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

I have to wonder, because I am the same way and would do the same thing, if he is joking? A guy would get a lot of ridicule building a rocket in his back yard. Maybe he included the flat earth thing just to play along more for the ridculers. I do the same thing, when I am doing something questionable and people give me pokes about it I will many times play into their game and lay on some extra layers of BS just to mess with the messers. Its makes them think you are even more nuts than you already are which I get a kick out of sometimes. Plus sometimes if you play crazy enough people will leave you alone so you can work.
                            Andy

Comment

Could he be trying to live out the television adventures of salvage yard owner Harry Broderick? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvage_1

Comment

Working...
                              X