Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marginally OT: I wanna be a spaceman too!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's not any less wacko than his contributors. I even see a Dot Comm endorsement on the side of the rocket.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
      ...you sure can't accuse the guy of not going all in.
      I suspect if he gets off the ground in a big way and then has trouble with his recovery system, he really will go all in.

Comment

Originally posted by Machine View Post
        I suspect if he gets off the ground in a big way and then has trouble with his recovery system, he really will go all in.
        Yup.. He will definitely bounce.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
          Yup.. He will definitely bounce.
          Or go splat like a bug hitting a windshield!

Comment

Did you see the first one? Looks like a car that hit a bridge at 80mph.
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
              Or go splat like a bug hitting a windshield!
              Human bodies bounce about 5 feet in the air when they hit the ground at terminal velocity. Luckily I've never seen anyone bounce at the DZ.

Comment

You guys all know about the Darwin award, right? If you don't, then google it. It is awarded each year -(posthumously) to whoever manages to kill himself in the most ridiculous fashion.
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                  You guys all know about the Darwin award, right? If you don't, then google it. It is awarded each year -(posthumously) to whoever manages to kill himself in the most ridiculous fashion.
                  Not true.... I've earned several Darwin awards in the past and I'm still alive and stronger than ever

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                    You don't need to kill yourself to get a Darwin award. Simply destroying your ability to reproduce while doing something stupid also qualifies.

Comment

1. It sounds like he just jumped onto the Flat Earth bandwagon in order to get funding that no one else would provide.

2. How does a steam powered rocket work? Where does the steam come from? (I've seen pictures and read descriptions of steam locomotives launching themselves after a crown sheet failure. I don't think that's what this guy has in mind, though.)

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
                        1. It sounds like he just jumped onto the Flat Earth bandwagon in order to get funding that no one else would provide.
                        I would have funded him if I knew about it and could get exclusive and comprehensive footage of the launch and the resulting bounce. Wait, bandwagon? Are you saying more than one person thinks the earth is flat?

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
                          2. How does a steam powered rocket work? Where does the steam come from? (I've seen pictures and read descriptions of steam locomotives launching themselves after a crown sheet failure. I don't think that's what this guy has in mind, though.)
                          If I recall (this is going all the way back to when Evel was going to do his canyon jump, and I was a kid, so I likely have lost some details), but I think it was as simple as an enclosed pressure vessel filled with water. Prior to launch, the water is electrically heated until it is super-heated. When it's time to launch, you open a valve that lets the superheated water exit through a nozzle and it flashes off to steam, producing thrust.

Comment

0 to 500 mph in 4 seconds is going to pull 6 g's - likely he will pass out and have to watch the instant replay.

Comment

Originally posted by 01-7700 View Post
                              0 to 500 mph in 4 seconds is going to pull 6 g's - likely he will pass out and have to watch the instant replay.
                              Maybe.

Looking at the earlier wreck, I am wondering if he'll get to watch the replay of this one.

Crazy damnfool thing to do, if he wants to go up 1800 feet, charter a %$#@! airplane.

I surely hope the flat-earth part of it is a bunch of total marketing hooey. There used to be theory that we all lived on the inside of a hollow earth. Some of the Nazi fringe in Germany believed that, and they sent off expeditions to "prove" it (and other even crazier theories). I suppose the next guy will be digging / tunneling instead of "flying", to see if he pops out the other side on the true outside of the planet......

Where do folks FIND these crazies?
                              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
                              X