OT: Router throttling available throughput on pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Router throttling available throughput on pc

My Lenovo i3 desktop gets its tiny bits via an Linksys E2500 wifi router. I'm paying for 100 mbps, which I can get if I run a cable from the Arris Docsis 3 modem (Internet connection) directly to the pc. However, when I put the router in between the two, the speed drops to 65.1 down, 6 up. I was using Speedof.me to give actual HTML5 results. My router is running dd-wrt firmware.

Any connectivity gurus in here who might be forthcoming with thoughts on how I might increase this throughput? I realize that I could put in a switch that would basically bypass the router on an as-needed basis, but that seems to me to be a rather inelegant solution.

Thanks,

Dan L
    Salem, Oregon

Are you running the router on a home network?

What other devices connect to the router?

VPN?

Comment

Originally posted by bob_s View Post
      Are you running the router on a home network?

What other devices connect to the router?

VPN?
      The hard wired ports on your router are 10 baseT and 100 baseT rated, so limit you on wired access to 100Mb/ sec!

Comment

If you connect to the router with a cable what speed do you get?

Many simpler consumer grade routers can't handle 100 mbs and add wireless to that with shared bandwidth and interference you would be lucky to have the full bandwidth available.

Comment

I use 802.11N and get about 167mbits/sec on wireless. On AC I could get way more, but not much point when my internet is 10mbit.

Upgrade your wireless router and if required your PC adapter. I assume you have good signal strength on your link?

Comment

So the slow configuration is
            Modem-linksys-router-Lenovo
            Yes?
            Assuming so...
            I assume the modem-linksys connection is wired.
            What are the linksys-router and router-Lenovo links?
            What is the router?
            Is the router configured to do something like a vpn or NAT (or some other packet/data munging gubbish)
            Why is the router in the network at all?

Edit - sorry , I misread your post
            Ignore everything I said except "is the router configured..."
            Last edited by fjk; 11-22-2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danl View Post
              My Lenovo i3 desktop gets its tiny bits via an Linksys E2500 wifi router. I'm paying for 100 mbps, which I can get if I run a cable from the Arris Docsis 3 modem (Internet connection) directly to the pc. However, when I put the router in between the two, the speed drops to 65.1 down, 6 up. I was using Speedof.me to give actual HTML5 results. My router is running dd-wrt firmware.

Any connectivity gurus in here who might be forthcoming with thoughts on how I might increase this throughput? I realize that I could put in a switch that would basically bypass the router on an as-needed basis, but that seems to me to be a rather inelegant solution.

Thanks,

Dan L
              You don't mention how you are using that wifi router. Are you using it as a switch (ethernet in and out) or a Wireless access point (ethernet to wireless)? Is it acting as a firewall? Doing NAT?

If you are doing any sort of packet based operations, the thoughput will drop. That would include SPI and NAT. Switches are so fast simply because they can pass the packet as soon as they get the MAC address in the packet header.

Dan
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Assuming you want to connect everything through the Linksys, I think you need to put the Arris Docsis 3 modem into bridge mode so that the
                Linksys is in charge. Try Googling:
                Code:
                Arris Docsis 3 modem bridge mode

Comment

Originally posted by Danl View Post

Thanks,

Dan L
                  The problem is with the WIFI module/adapter in your Lenovo i3 desktop or the associated WIFI drivers. Are you using a cheap USB WIFI dongle in your Lenovo desktop?

Comment

I've had similar issue and throughput problems with smallish router CPU and DD-WRT. Since DD-WRT does not have access to the proprietary hardware acceleration drivers of the router, everything has to be processed by the CPU. If you check CPU usage on the router while doing the speedtest, how is it doing? If it's high, reverting to the Linksys firmware migth solve the issue (while losing a lot of functionnality!). I've had good luck with Asus routers and Merlin firmware, up to about 200Mbps. More than that and you need more horsepower (who doesn't anyway!?).

Comment

I knew some sharp folks would chime in on this. Thanks.

Bob_s: yep, home network. For wifi, I have cell phones (2), and a couple of tablets. It would be nice to actually see 100 mbps down on my Linksys E2500. I run dd-wrt on that router. From there I feed a Linksys SD208 8 port 10/100 switch, which feeds a smart TV, an IP Camera and 3 laser printers. All CAT5 cabling. The Arris Docsis 3 modem I know almost nothing about.

Hooking up the Arris modem directly to the TV results in the highest speeds as mentioned earlier. I'll check into some of the remaining comments as time permits.

Happy Thanksgiving, guys!

Dan
                      Salem, Oregon

Comment

Many routers on the retail market have serious issues with throughput. As a trained and experience network engineer I have the say the Linksys gear is a huge disappointment. Have you speed tested the connection behind the Linksys with only that one device attached?

I run an Arris SB6141 modem with a Ubiquiti Router along with their Ubiquiti Unifi 802.11ac professional access point. I get excellent service in the house *and* shop with one single AP. To demonstrate how robust it is at work I'm using two of those same APs to provide internet in our Cafe area to 50-75 customers at time. They beat the heck out of a 15Mbps connection during lunch.
                        Mike
                        Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Mike,

Do you have any experience with pfsense firewall/routers? I think I am overwhelming this little Linksys with the dd-wrt software, so I may be looking at other options. Any idea how much that Ubiquiti hardware cost you? The wifi side of these little consumer grade routers is underwhelming, in terms of signal reach.

Dan
                          Salem, Oregon

Comment

These are what I have...

802.11ac Pro $134
                            https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netw...biquiti+pro+AC

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X Advanced Gigabit Ethernet Routers ER-X $52
                            https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netw...iti+edgerouter

The equipment is awesome, however its not typical consumer friendly. It does require some thought to configure but its not hard. The two items above do not require each other to operate. However to setup the AP you need to either install the Windows Unfi Controller on your PC or buy one of the CloudKey hardware appliances. Like most commercial grade APs it doesn't have a local web interface to manage it loaded on the AP itself. But once its setup you don't need the controller unless you want to make a change or upgrade the AP code.

Mike

PS: The single packs of the APs come with a power injector. The PoE on the router is passive style and the AP requires active PoE.
                            Last edited by Ohio Mike; 11-23-2017, 02:12 PM. Reason: PoE
                            Mike
                            Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Mike,

It looks like that EdgeRouter X is wired only, no wifi. So am I correct in assuming the802.11ac Pro units need to have one wired to the EdgeRouter, and then you use multiple Pro units to extend the wifi range?

Dan
                              Salem, Oregon

Comment

Working...
                              X