Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Can articles for the magazines be sent as files instead of mailed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Can articles for the magazines be sent as files instead of mailed?

I've had some more articles sitting waiting for me to get around to printing them out double spaced and sending the bundle with a disk of files.

I saw here recently a mention of using dropbox for file transfer to some magazine, do not know/recall if it was HSM/MW. The idea was to get around the email limits on attachments.

It made me think that it might be possible to just send files instead of printing, packaging, and dragging them to the post office.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Suggest you follow the guidance on this page.

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/res...authors-guide/

Comment

Originally posted by Erich View Post
      Suggest you follow the guidance on this page.

...]
      Yah, yah... I have the author's guide, and have had articles printed before. The author's guide goes back to the time of folks who sent in physical photos, typewritten sheets, and hand drawn sketches.....

I know a number of other folks here have articles printed fairly regularly, and one person (Paul A, I think) mentioned in an unrelated thread that he had sent in articles electronically, possibly to HSM.

The question is whether that WAS to HSM.

Comment

I am missing something. Why would you not just ask the powers that be at HSM the question.? JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
          I am missing something. Why would you not just ask the powers that be at HSM the question.? JR
          "cause I thought of it to-nite, and it was mentioned here recently.

At least a dozen, maybe more, authors for the mags post here regularly and might answer as to whether they have done it electronically, well before the mag folks would have time.

Obviously, if nobody knows, I can ask the mag. But, if you recall, this site is sponsored by the mags...authors are regularly posting and would see the question..... so it's not like I went downtown and started asking random folks. George might even see it and answer.

Comment

I have submitted a number of articles to HSM. At first I did send them as attachments to e-mails but I had to send the text without the photos as one attachment and then attach about two photos each to successive e-mails until everything was received. Sometimes George would not get one of them and I had to send it again.

Several years ago I opened a DropBox account. It was very easy and does not cost anything. Now I have the DropBox folder on my desktop and I just drag and drop the files into it. Right click on the resulting file in the DropBox folder and it gives me the link to the it which I just paste into an e-mail to George. So far it has worked perfectly and George seems to have no trouble with it. And yes, it completely gets around any e-mail limitations.

He does like to have the individual files for each photo or illustration so I send the Word document with the photos in it but I also add the individual photos to the DropBox folder. I name them plainly so there is no confusion: Photo 1, etc. Figure 1, etc. I insert placeholders in the text where the photos and drawings go: example <photo 1>.

If you like, I can send you a DropBox link to one such article in a PM so you can see how it works.
            Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 11-22-2017, 02:58 AM.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              I've had some more articles sitting waiting for me to get around to printing them out double spaced and sending the bundle with a disk of files.
              geez Jerry, you've been sitting on them awhile! I've never submitted anything except electronically....that would be starting from 10 years ago. Send George a note for directions.
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

George might even see it and answer.
                We can take articles in about any format you care to work in, but they all get turned into electronic files before we do any work on them. As to getting the files to me, there are a number of options:

Email Attachments – I can receive up to 20MB per email, so a short article might only take one or two emails to deliver. Subject to limits on the the outgoing email of the author, of course.

Dropbox or Similar – Works fine, not a problem. There have been a few instances where the auto-email notification from the service gets stuck in my junk mail folder or doesn't make it through the filters at all. If going this route, send a separate email letting me know you've loaded something to Dropbox.
                For those who use gmail, you can attach files of any size to an outgoing email and it works like Dropbox; I get a link to go download the file(s).

Our Upload Site – We have instructions on how to upload files of any size directly to our server. It works for most people, though there have been a few that it doesn't, mainly due to browser settings, etc. If going this route, I strongly suggest bundling all files into one zipped folder. Not only will it make things easier on your end, but it turns a long and error prone process of pulling in and naming individual files into a one click deal on my end.

The Good Old Mail – Those who write for us on a regular basis tend to end up using this route. Material can be delivered on a flash drive or DVD.

For those considering submitting an article, please get in touch with me first. We have a large number of articles on hand and if you are considering a subject for which we already several similar articles on hand, it's always best to find out before doing all the work that it may take close to a decade to make its way to print.

Regarding Paul's comments on preferred files. Yes, I will need to have the separate, original photo files for the article. There are exceptions, but graphics pulled from a docx file or a pdf are typically too small to print at a meaningful size in the magazine. It may look great on your computer screen, but that's not the same as what comes off the press. As a minimum, we want to have 300dpi resolution at the final print size.

All drawings will have to make a trip through SolidWorks to be turned into the hi-res files that the artists require. I can read in a number of different CAD file types directly (including Alibre) and can pull in the basics as well, STL, STEP, DXF, DWG, IGES, etc.

However, it's always best to check with me about the CAD before jumping through too many hoops. If you are having problems getting the CAD together a simple drawing may be the way to go. I'll often redraw things anyway, even if I have good CAD, as working from my own models allows things to be manipulated more easily to fit the pages and having the solid assemblies gives me a chance to edit the fits – a good way to catch a clearance hole misaligned from the tapped hole, etc.

My email is in the magazine masthead and is the best way to get in touch with me.
                George
                Traverse City, MI

Comment

Thank you Paul A, McGyver and George B. Precisely the sort of info I was looking for.

George: Wow... you have a big enough backlog that you can discourage authors? That's way better than a few years ago, when it seemed that there were barely enough submissions to fill up the mags. However, I doubt you have anything like what I intended to submit, although stranger things have happened.

You have liked my photos, text, and CAD drawings before, so I assume that will be no problem. Back then, I mailed in a printout with files on DVD, perhaps I can avoid the bulky physical printout.

Comment

Thank you Paul A, McGyver and George B. Precisely the sort of info I was looking for.

George: Wow... you have a big enough backlog that you can discourage authors? That's way better than a few years ago, when it seemed that there were barely enough submissions to fill up the mags. However, I doubt you have anything like what I intended to submit, although stranger things have happened.

You have liked my photos, text, and CAD drawings before, so I assume that will be no problem. Back then, I mailed in a printout with files on DVD, perhaps I can avoid the bulky physical printout.
                    Jerry,

It's not my intention to discourage authors, rather I want to make sure that they know exactly what is in store for them. I have no problems accepting an article for which we have several similar articles already waiting in line; I just want the author to understand the long delay that having others ahead of him will cause. To not relay the truth in order to simply bulk up the catalog isn't my style.

Articles that don't fall into the category of being close duplicates to what we already have will take the same old path to publication as your previous articles did – the time to publication has been relatively steady for the last 10-20 years.

No need for sending hardcopy, we might glance at it but it's not required. If I need to see I print, I know how to hit the print button!
                    George
                    Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post

No need for sending hardcopy, we might glance at it but it's not required. If I need to see I print, I know how to hit the print button!
                      Ah, well you may want to update the author's guide, as my copy from not that long ago still requests printed copy as a backup in case of unreadable files. Maybe it has been updated since.

As for the article thing, I was just noting that there was a difference now, you have a backlog. In past years it had sounded as if you were really scrounging for articles. I am happy that there IS a sufficiency of articles, as for a while it seemed as if it was petering out.

More recently I have seen more articles by folks (some apparently retired, some not) who have been involved in machining professionally, which sounds as if a "new generation" of authors may be coming into the picture. That cannot be bad.

Comment

Yes, the guide was updated some time ago, as was the info found in the mastheads of the three magazines I edit. For those wishing to take a look at the guide, click on the contact us button on this page:
                        http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/res...authors-guide/

This will drop a notice into Kelly's inbox and she will be able to send along a PDF of the guide. We prefer to have do it this way rather than simply allow people to download the guide as the email contact allows us to start a conversation, which results in far less confusion and far fewer angry emails to me!

Since I started this job ten years ago, I hear over and over that the hobby is dying and it, along with the magazines, will soon be gone. The hobby may be changing, as everything does, but I've found that interest has been increasing and we have no problems at all getting articles. Some types of articles may be tough to get, but we can still get them.

Guys come up to me all the time at the shows and point out the hall is full of grey-haired, retired old guys, using this as the basis for their statement that the hobby is on the ropes. I like to reply that they make new, grey-haired, retired old guys every day.
                        George
                        Traverse City, MI

Comment

looks like you got the answer, but this link spells out some of the attachment limits for many email services:

https://www.outlook-apps.com/maximum-email-size/

Comment

Guys come up to me all the time at the shows and point out the hall is full of grey-haired, retired old guys, using this as the basis for their statement that the hobby is on the ropes. I like to reply that they make new, grey-haired, retired old guys every day.
                            Well said

Comment

We can take articles in about any format you care to work in.
                              So you'll accept an article written in braille provided in a gerber?

Comment

Working...
                              X