Roll-In Band Saw Restoration Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll-In Band Saw Restoration Project

I just finished up a 6 month project restoring a Roll-In Band Saw and thought I would share what I did and how I did it with you. Below is a link to video showing the restoration process.

https://youtu.be/44k5-bVBHCE

For most of that video I was thinking "that's not a rebuild, that's just new paint!" But then you got to the good juicy bits.

I do restoration for a hobby. You spend about 10^3 more time painting than I do, but your paint sure looks purty.

I love Rollin saws. You did great!

metalmagpie

Comment

I have had a Roll-In for close to 20 years. It is a serious work horse. With the correct band and some careful set-up it is capable of some accurate "band machining".
      When I had the saw for about a month, I drilled and tapped some 3/8-16 NC in a pattern thru the table. These work real well for holding a selection of custom fixtures. Also, on mine the back edge of the table is dead on 90 degrees from the travel which helps in setting up fixtures.

What I found out the hard way was that cutting oil will destroy the factory tires. So I use air, wax or cut dry.

While not a cheap tool, the bands are a lot cheaper that the carbide blades for a Cold Saw. It is definitely quieter and less messy than an abrasive chop saw.

Nice job on the restoration.

Pete

Comment

Used to be a joke about watching paint dry, one step further, watching it being applied.

Regards Ian.
        You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip View Post
          Used to be a joke about watching paint dry, one step further, watching it being applied.

Regards Ian.
          Yeah, my monotony meter was starting to peg out, so not wanting to tolerate any more of the racket ...er music , I gave up before ever seeing any actual rebuild.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Stepside, how do you determine feed pressure on the blade on your saw?
            Last edited by preeber; 11-23-2017, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by preeber View Post
              Thanks for the feedback.

Stepside, how do you determine feed pressure on the blade on your saw?
              Set the weight at the bottom until the blade jumps the wheels, or teeth start stripping off of it. Then back it up a bit from there.... At least that's how some of the Muppet's at work do it.

Comment

I removed the hydraulic feed cylinder when it leaked/did not work. So the feed is what the saw wishes or I just control the feed with the in-feed lever. On Angle I try to cut with the corner up. With rectangle and square tube I hand feed through the thin parts and let the saw feed through the thick section. If cutting square or Rectangle thin wall tube setting it up in V-blocks makes it cut like it is all thin section.

Because I have a great source of "custom" bands it is easy to select the correct band for the job. If it is just a cut or two I usually use the 10-18 tooth by 3/4 band.

Comment

If any of you guys are near Glassboro NJ and have been dying to own an incredible saw Fazzio’s has an old Marvel series 8 for $995. It is a tilting head vertical bandsaw with 18” x 18” capacity. This is a $25K saw today and Marvel stocks every part. We got a slightly newer one 6 months ago for $4K and it is such a great saw I smile every time I use it.

Comment

I forgot to mention that if you remove the vise and run the saw to the front it is great for freehand work. for 16 gauge or thinner I prefer a real fine pitch 1/2 wide diemaster band. Like any band saw it has throat depth issues.

Comment

I'll have to try it in freehand mode, sounds like fun. I have used it now several times and really need to replace the blade, the one that it came with is really dull. Other than that it really works well and I am pleased with it. It is a really big step up from my hacksaw.

Comment

Working...
                      X