No announcement yet.

Drill press mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate casters also, but my shop has floor drains, and the floor is set up to run toward them. Bad for castered stuff, it all wants to cluster around the drains!....
    Now THAT is an image that made me bust out laughing! THANKS!

Dunc, if you have one of the smaller machines with the chuck right on the quill then I can fully understand your desire to upgrade. I've got one of the larger bench mount DP's with the MT2 quill. It's been "big enough" that I've only very occasionally wanted more. Like Rich I realized early on that by mounting it right on the edge of a bench I could swing the head and table and turn the table to vertical and work longer pieces. The couple of times in 20 years I've needed to do that it worked like a treat.

But if I had the room and were in your shoes I think I'd be haunting the local for sale options for a bigger floor mount MT3 quill machine too. And at that size you might even get a power feed.

I'm a fan of casters for moving machines. But overall I want them to sit solidly on the floor on proper feet. And a drill press is so tall and tippy that I'd worry about flex in any mounting plate that uses thin gauge angle and that has slots for adjustability. Instead I'd set the machine up either bolted to the floor or at most on a solid shallow stand with holes in it that accepts some shafts with "paddles" that have casters on them that cams up into position as it raises the base maybe 1/4" to allow you to roll to a new spot and then lowers down again for a solid footing. If you use any sort of "feet" they should be leveling feet that sit solidly the rest of the time.

Likely as not you'll end up with the press in one spot. But at times you need to move it temporarily for some reason. I'd be inclined to equip it with leveling feet to allow for wavy floors and keep it up just high enough that a heavy gauge strap that lifts up with casters can be slipped under and used to both raise and move the machine. Then after you've done what is needed to slip it back into place, lower it and remove the wheel gear and bolt the sucker back to the floor.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
    X