Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BATTLE SHAPER ... Pics at long last. Pics of CHIPS too !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Mechanical interlock to release the ram if the head gets too close to the column on the backstroke..... If it hit, something is gonna "give".
    I like the idea but I can't see a way to release the ram in that scenario rapidly enough. The only method that might work is to modify things so that the top bolt that fixes the ram to the scotch yoke arm on a mechanical setup is parted off half way or more through the bolt so it acts like a fuse and snaps off. But how would one test such a thing? Some of the heavier cuts engage with such a THUMP that after a few hits it's just as likely to snap the "fuse" during normal use.

So we're left with hand cycling or running a few "soft strokes" on the clutch if it's a hydraulic ram to check before engaging the power to the ram.

Old Mart, that's the ram stroke indicator. And I'd say from the numbers that it's in inches.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by plastikosmd View Post
      When it's convenient, I spin my vise 90 deg to yours so I cut against the movable jaw.
      Fixed that for you. It depends on the aspect ratio of the part. If you have a piece 1" wide and 12" long, you would not want to swivel that vise 90 deg from what it is now.

ME

Comment

Good to see it is now a goer ... well done.

PS: the wife is right ... highlight paint on the lettering on the door would add bling.

Comment

Those tools in pic #3 must be bigger than I thought.
          At that rate, the shaper must be at least 10 feet from front to back.
          Last edited by old mart; 11-24-2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Dan , That machine is a thing of beauty... congratulation on a fine restoration. Shapers are the most fun!

Joe B

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
              I believe the scale is in inches. Ram stroke length?
              The scale is in half inches, but it allows one to set the stroke length in inches traveled. Yeah, weird.

So far the way I've gotten the scale to make sense is the following way... There might be something easier, but this works.

1) set the travel to 0 by cranking the stroke adjusting screw all the way clockwise.
              2) set the ram to 0 by using the ram forward/back adjusting screw that comes out the back of the ram
              3) now use the stroke adjusting screw to set the desired stroke on the scale. The actual travel will be + that and - that... so a half inch scale gives inches of travel
              4) then move the ram forward/back to get it to be over your work
              5) crank it by hand a few times to make sure the head doesn't hit the body of the machine, or other bad things happen

The tools are big... the adjustable wrench is an 18" wrench I had to buy to handle a couple of the rather large nuts on the machine. My 14" was just a weeeeee bit too small.

Comment

Very nice machine, I love shapers

Paul

Comment

As for the head interlock, if you always cycle it one complete cycle by hand before switching on the power there will not be a problem here. I have had a 12" Vernon for about a year and a half now and always do that. Twice when I changed something and didn't I learned not to do that again. Once it took a cut where I didn't want one and the other time the belt drive slipped. I was lucky. Always always turn it one full cycle before putting the power to it.

Comment

Congratulations on a job well done and thank you for the writeup.

Comment

The scale is in half inches, but it allows one to set the stroke length in inches traveled. Yeah, weird.
                      No mystery there Dan, My Alba is in the same 1/2" increments. You have to realize that at the point where you set the scale that the stroke is doubled by the Scotch yoke design... .at least I'm assuming from where the scale is located and uses the indicator needle off the link bolt that your shaper uses the mechanical Scotch link. The only video I can say for sure was off a hydraulic unit had the travel indicator down on the side with the other controls.

To set the scale the link on the wheel that drives the scotch yoke has to be level and pointed forward. And of course that means it's only 1/2 of the total travel. Hence why the scale is in half inches.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Dan,

Nicely done and congrad's on making chips.

It was comforting to read that I'm not the only one that has issues moving heavy shaper parts around the shop. And, it's not only removing them from the machine or moving them around the shop it's also manhandling them while you're cleaning them. My 16" G&E shaper isn't nearly as big as yours but I can sympathize with your struggles.

Again, well done and I hope my shaper looks as good as yours when I'm done.

Comment

Dan, good OP, enjoyed reading it, well written.
                          My 8" shaper can take 0.100" DOC in steel in one pass. Don't baby it - give it some!
                          Shear tools are at the opposite end of the spectrum - 0.004" is a big cut. For that "super finish ground effect" using a shear tool, no more than 0.0015" (thou and a half) is wanted.
                          Regards,
                          Mike.

Comment

A 24" shaper should take a cut an inch deep without even blinking.

Comment

I suspected that there was more to the scale than a direct reading.

Comment

Working...
                              X