Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about buying a new 45x135 CNC metal lathe for under $200 ~ What do you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying a new 45x135 CNC metal lathe for under $200 ~ What do you think

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DIY-Tool-...&wl13=&veh=sem

Better start thinking in 0's and 1's...

Comment

The root of the machine has been around for some time in manual work versions. Bottom line is that they are cheezey and only suitable for working wood, plastics, industrial waxes and some smaller items in brass and aluminium and REALLY small items in steels.

The black portions are fairly thin walled soft aluminium extrusion and the red is plastic. The shiny parts are die cast zinc alloy. One review I read about the manual version indicated that the bearings or the bearing housings had some amount of play that I don't recall at the moment but which was a deal breaker right out of the gate. And that was brand new right out of the box.

bottom line is that if you are used to proper tools that it will be a source of extreme frustration. CNC just means that you can be frustrated after the computer goes "beep" to indicate that it's finished with torturing the material.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

It was MADE by cnc. There are no steppers or servos in the picture, and no room for them.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
          It was MADE by cnc. There are no steppers or servos in the picture, and no room for them.

Dan
          I thought that they just used the wrong picture. So it's the same POS that I've read about. It's not worth $20, let alone $200.

With a bit of fixing up it MIGHT be suitable for making wood pens. But I sort of doubt it.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

For a small lathe, get in touch with Nick Carter and tell him you want a Taig lathe. Barely equipped, it'll run about $350-400, nicely equipped you'll be talking $1000. Nick will help you get what you need--I've used just about everything he sold me to do something and not just play with it. Buy LOTS of toolposts and tool bits. At least 10 standard and 3 back tool posts.

You'll be happy with the machine if your work primarily falls inside its work envelope.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post

Dan
              That's a clever trick.

Comment

Never buy what you do not want, because it is cheap. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Notice the lanyard above the motor? The machine doubles as a key ring fob.

Comment

I think CNC means Can Not Cut

Comment

I was tinkering with the idea of something similar, because someone was bending my ear that theyre not as bad as everyone makes out and its all prejudice by machine snobs, plus it was to go in a trailer bench workshop permanently as a get out of jail trackside free card, but we're tight on the weight limit for the trailer with bike and tools.
                      So I trundled off the showroom, and its just a couple of rexroth style extrusions, you can flex it with your hand, or cutting forces. Strongly disbeliving claims of it being useable I asked them to cut some steel and they got a stub of aluminium out, so I said no, I want to see it cut steel. But the guy demo'ing it wouldnt claiming they had no suitable stock, so I walk back the landrover and theres a bit of 10mm xc38 bar offcut, grab and walk back in with it, but he still refuses, then he says the golden line "sorry, it can't cut that sort of metal, its designed for plastic or light work".
                      Bottom line, you will be disappointed, especially if youve ever used a actual lathe before. Hunt round for a unimat, or something else small and light if thats your criteria, but not one of these. You'd be better off with a cordless and a length of all thread rigged up as the spindle to form a temporary lathe than trying to make accurate work on one of these. Best left to the maker crowd...

Comment

Walmart? , 12v input?

Comment

In this case, CNC probably is shorthand for Crank N Cuss...
                          Kansas City area

Comment

Banggood has a similar product that can be assembled as a lathe as well as a mini-mill and drill, for about $150:

https://www.banggood.com/Mini-Motori...r_warehouse=CN

This tool/toy might be adequate for some work using wood or plastic and maybe aluminum or brass, and it could be a challenge to see how it could be modified and improved to correct deficiencies and determine if one has the skills to use a "crap" machine to make something that might be thought impossible.
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

"CNC" is the new "Billet" idiocracy.

Comment

Working...
                              X