No announcement yet.

Pedestal Mounted Vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother has a 6" large vise on a 6" piece of pipe (not sure if it is filled) welded to a 3' x 3' piece of plate steel for you to stand on and slide it around the shop.
    Like the OP was saying, if it could be movable what a nice option, well this one is, and I've done some good BFH work straightening his mower deck and other tractor implements that seem to always need work when I want to use it, or even just moving it in his shop.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Comment

I mounted one of my vises on tripod. It is stable in or out of shop and heavy enough for most work I do.

When I need to get after something, I snug it down to one of the floor pots.

The other tripod is multi-functional. It accepts grinders, buffer, small welding table, 2d vise, sensitive drill, etc. I made adapters with a pipe stub on the bottom that just plugs into the tripod base.

Comment

I've got one I made that is a pipe welded to a car rim. I put 2 small wheels on it for mobility, just tilt and wheel wherever you need it. On top of the pipe is a tree with a 2" receiver sticking straight up, and 4 more sticking out radially for attachements yet to be built...... I have a vise mounted on a 2" stub mounted on top. I made it about 6 years ago, and chip away at "finishing" it whenever I get some free time and don't want to do something else I should be doing.....

I don't have any weight in it, and it needs it.

Edit: I like those floor pots above. Did you put those in when you poured the slab, or install after?
        Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 11-28-2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TriHonu View Post
          When I need to get after something, I snug it down to one of the floor pots.

Your photo made waking up worthwhile today.

That is a novel-to-me way of temporarily immobilizing a base for a vise/grinder/ect. I believe I recall seeing floor pots in collision repair shops years ago before steel frame straightening fixtures took over.

I like the attention to details: one end of the chain appears to be fixed in the pot, the other end retains the cap that covers the pot when not in use so the cap is always right at hand, the pot has sufficient volume to swallow the chain.

A variation of this approach for those of us unable/unwilling to install floor pots is to fab an attachment point to a sizable piece of plate. Say a threaded hole and a suitable eye bolt. While not as tidy, it is a compromise that could work for me.

Thank you for posting.

Comment

Hi TriHonu
            In a previous post I said, "If doing it again, I would use bigger pipe and fill with concrete." I stand corrected. I would skip the pipe and concrete and..... I would steal your great idea and get the best of both worlds. Clever very well done thanks for sharing.

bert

Comment

I have one mounted on an old dentist chair base, it is height adjustable but doesn't rotate.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Boatman53 View Post
                I have one mounted on an old dentist chair base, it is height adjustable but doesn't rotate.

Jim
                Now THAT's a great idea. If I find a barber, hair stylist or dentist chair cheap I will try that!
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Ask your dentist. I was fortunate to have a friend that had a business building/remodeling dentists offices. He threw old chairs out. I had four pass through my shop from him. I have one left, an electric hydraulic base. That one does swivel and am in the middle of doing a restore on it before mounting something on it.
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X