Pedestal Mounted Vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedestal Mounted Vise

I've thought about this before, but it comes to mind every time one of my two bench mounted vises is in the way, or I wish I had more room to use one of them.

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?

For my uses I would NOT want to bolt it down in one place so I'd have to make it pretty heavy. A few hundred pounds doesn't bother me to much. My concrete filled pickup wheel pedestal for my bench grinders has been working out quite nicely, but it might be a bit light for a vise.

I am also NOT thinking about a post vise, but rather a bench vise bolted to a platform on a pedestal.

Yes, I am thinking about the vise on a hitch mount with a tube under the work bench too. It would work ok on my butcher block work bench, but on the steel top bench the C-channel supporting the top would make it problematic. Waaaadaaaayaaathink?
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

My vise is on a pedestal, 5" thinwall steel pipe filled with rebar and concrete. It is bolted down and I can't imagine not bolting a vise down. I'd need a 500lb base if not for the bolts, maybe even more! The biggest problem with a free-standing vise is that a suitable base (for what I do, anyway) would necessarily be bulky even if filled with lead. And that interferes with standing close to the vise.
    Last edited by chipmaker4130; 11-26-2017, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Now you have me thinking. I had to tear out the bench to which my vise was mounted in order to build the enclosed shop for my new lathe and mill. Pedestal mounted and anchored to the concrete.....
      It's all mind over matter.
      If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

I see lots of folks bolt them to truck wheels, brake drums, etc. Seems as if they would be awfully floppy. And the ones I have used have been. Hard to even use a hacksaw on a piece of metal in them.

I have a bunch of heavy brake discs and wheels, but it just does not seem worth messing with that. Maybe a grinder mounted on one, but not a vise.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

I have used a pedestal vise for years. I mounted a length of firewood (beech about 10" diameter by 30something" long.) I lag screwed the wood to a tire and wheel, and fastened the vise with 1/2" hanger bolts and nuts. One could use lag screws. Mine happens to be a swivel vise, which is a bonus. The advantages of the wheel are twofold. First, when you whale on the vise anvil the shock is absorbed by the tire. Second, it is a simple matter to tilt the whole unit and "walk" it to where you want to use it.
          This works so well that I mounted a 75 lb anvil in the same manner.
          Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

This is mine mounted on a six inch pipe bolted to a truck hub

Comment

Floppy? lol. Mine's just like the one above... but I filled my dump truck drum with concrete and 200lb of old gears! Bit to heavy to even slide.. over 400lb and NO issues with stability

I also put two 3/4 inch conduits though the drum in case I wanted to bolt it to the floor to top rotation. Never needed to.
              Last edited by lakeside53; 11-26-2017, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                Floppy? lol. Mine's just like the one above... but I filled my dump truck drum with concrete and 200lb of old gears! Bit to heavy to even slide.. over 400lb and NO issues with stability

I also put two 3/4 inch conduits though the drum in case I wanted to bolt it to the floor to top rotation. Never needed to.
                Hah...

Most of the ones I see are an auto brake disc or piece of plate, with a piece of maybe 2" pipe, or some square tube, and the vise (not always a big one) bolted to a plate on the top. Something like these:

http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/im78nKzcqTI/mqdefault.jpg

http://loflow.smugmug.com/Other/Gara...89_MEjhx-M.jpg

Yours should be more substantial by a factor of 6.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

We had a pedestal mounted vise.for years. My Dad found a cap for a oil well head, added a short section of pipe and we had a vise stand. They are nice because you can walk all the at around the vise to work on something.

Hal

Comment

You can weld directly to the mount section of a dump truck drum - that part is a steel insert - the rest is cast iron. I used a 6 inch 1/4 wall pipe for the riser. With the added bottom weight, it's amazingly stable. If you want to stop it rocking at all, put three carriage heat bolts into the concrete fill and leave them a little proud.

Check out any truck maintenance shop. The big shops around here send a truck full of worn hubs to recycling every week. Never had had to pay for one.
                    Last edited by lakeside53; 11-26-2017, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I am slowly finishing the process of fitting my bench grinders, polishers etc with a square male extrusion below, like a homegrown square hitch insert, and on the various benches there are square sockets already existing that these can be dropped into. This means that I can change out a whole grinder or vice really quickly. So I have one bench grinder with noses running polishing wheels, another with a pair of wire brushes, and two more with different stone types and I can be using them wherever without having to get into wheel changes.
                      I've been eyeing the bead roller and some other stuff too, I think its time that everything got a interchangeable mount.

Having read this thread, I might make a freestanding post mount and put a square socket in the top of it too! best of both worlds and it can be rolled round the vehicle shed.

Comment

Regarding stability, pedestal mounted vises are typically mounted lower than bench mounted. A lot of bench mounted vises are mounted too high, because the mounting height is optimized for the table top. Moving to a pedestal, or small table, allows you to decide what is optimal. Usually, the bigger the vise, the lower you mount it, improving stability.

How high does your typical work piece stick up above the jaws? A high mount has you working on stuff more from the side than from above, where you can put weight on the work. If your arms are bent up at the elbow, that isn't great for applying force or for fatigue. For smaller vises and work, a high mounted makes it easier to get in close without stooping over.

A really large vise might be mounted on a 24" tall surface (or lower), with a 40" jaw height. My 300 lbs 8" Reed came on a 24" tall table, that is 24"x24". The vise can be swiveled to keep the work over the table. There is also an anchor on the top of the table, for cases where you want to overhang substantial work off the front. The four leg design keeps the base from blocking your feet.

Comment

Arent you supposed to arrange the total height so that your elbow is at the same level as the vice jaw for comfort when sawing etc?
                          Thats what I remember the textbooks teaching when I was at college (a long time ago...)

Comment

My bench vice is mounted on a lower outrigger welded onto the side of the bench. This keeps it out of the way of the bench surface and results in both the bench top and the vice jaws being the right height for me to work at.
                            Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

Like many tools, it depends on just what you are planning to do with it… If you routinely fit an extension, handle on to a wrench for example, just for a little more leverage it will need to be well anchored.
                              In my former shop, I had a 6 inch vice mounted on 4-inch pipe welded to 12x12x ½ plate bolted to floor with eight 5/8 bolts. It was fine for most everything I did and yet, I was quite surprised at just how limber that set up was. If doing it again, I would use bigger pipe and fill with concrete.
                              Like you, I wanted to free my bench of the vice because it was in the way a lot. Never regretted the pedestal. Ideally the more room around the pedestal the better. Especially if your vise does not swivel .

bert

Comment

Working...
                              X