Vert mill repair or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vert mill repair or replace?

I have a "maxi-mill" bridgeport clone. Has worked ok for most of my non commercial use. It was worn when I bought it and that has been a problem at times, binding or loose on the x axis, y has wear but is less of an issue. I'm considering replacing it with new. It is 2 hp 3 ph, has power feed x, mitutoyo DRO, pneumatic collet system. Nothing is broken just worn.
    Grizzly is $12,500 for a new mill- not really wanting to spend that kind of money for my limited use, so not an option.
    I really do not have the time to repair it myself - (learning scraping). I have had it apart and replaced bearing where needed years ago. The quill is tight.

Has anyone sent their machine to be repaired and what are the things to watch out for? Estimate on cost for full xyz refurbishment?
    Thanks,
    Abner

Sounds like you need a few parts. Lift up the DRO and collet closer and slide a new Kent, Sharp, or Acer under them.
    Kansas City area

Comment

I'd consider stripping the DRO, power feed and pneumatic collet system and selling the bare machine for whatever you can get. Then use that money to replace the old one with a better used machine with minimal wear. A solid Taiwanese clone with step pulley can usually be had for less than $3K, depending on your local market. Otherwise, rescraping 3 axes and shipping your mill back and forth to the rebuilder will usually easily exceed that amount.

Comment

Its it possible the binding is not the ways? Perhaps keeping the gibb locks a little too tight or maybe just bad gibbs? I know you tore it down so you are not a neophyte, but sometimes people overlook the obvious.

Maybe loosen up the machine and do more work towards the end of the table instead of in the middle?

When you had it apart did you check the ways and dovetails to see how bad and where the wear is?
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Abner View Post
          I have a "maxi-mill" bridgeport clone. Has worked ok for most of my non commercial use. It was worn when I bought it and that has been a problem at times, binding or loose on the x axis, y has wear but is less of an issue. I'm considering replacing it with new. It is 2 hp 3 ph, has power feed x, mitutoyo DRO, pneumatic collet system. Nothing is broken just worn.
          Grizzly is $12,500 for a new mill- not really wanting to spend that kind of money for my limited use, so not an option.
          I really do not have the time to repair it myself - (learning scraping). I have had it apart and replaced bearing where needed years ago. The quill is tight.

Has anyone sent their machine to be repaired and what are the things to watch out for? Estimate on cost for full xyz refurbishment?
          Thanks,
          Abner
          You can get a grizzly G0796 bridgeport clone with 9x49" table, DRO, and power feed for $6370 shipped:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-X-...-and-DRO/G0796

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
            You can get a grizzly G0796 bridgeport clone with 9x49" table, DRO, and power feed for $6370 shipped:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-X-...-and-DRO/G0796
            Ah, missed that one. That looks like what I want. Thanks. Abner

Comment

Originally posted by Abner View Post
              Ah, missed that one. That looks like what I want. Thanks. Abner
              I think it might have been on-sale for $4995.00 yesterday too so if you're serious about it, call them on the phone and place an order for the G0796. At some point the price will come into play on the phone and just sound surprised and say you're interested in the Mill you looked at yesterday for $4995.00 and I'm sure they will extend the sales price to your order. Make sure you call them on the phone and not through email, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X