Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: A good one, Chrome being "push installed".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: A good one, Chrome being "push installed".

AVG automatically updated today, and as near as I can tell, also "push-installed" Chrome without my consent or knowledge, a bit like the MS push-installations of Win 10..

At least, When I closed out browsing, there was a welcome screen informing me that my new browser (Chrome) was installed.... much to my surprise. The only unusual activity was that AVG upgraded, so I am blaming AVG for it, right or wrong.

Yes, I dumped it immediately. NOT very pleased with that sort of tactic. If I had considered Chrome previously, I am not considering it any longer. Chrome looks like a virus to me. At least it appears to have un-installed cleanly.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

So your dumping Chrome and keeping AVG?

Comment

More than once I've seen extra items try to be included with updates to some other "family" product. I tend not to accept the default settings and look closely at the fine print. There's always a check box but it typically defaults to checked if you're not careful.

For a while I seem to recall that Google toolbar was a piece of extra installation when updating Java or some such. It was a couple of years back so I'm likely mis-remembering which items it was. But I needed/wanted the one and not the other. Had to keep a sharp eye for those sneaky things.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
        So your dumping Chrome and keeping AVG?
        Did not want Chrome, cannot PROVE it was AVG..... And I like AVG. Right or wrong, I have not had virus problems while using AVG.

Better that that Kaspersky, which seems, per reports, to be "compromised" (may or may not be true). I do not particularly want "Fancy Bear AV" installed, and besides, I had Kaspersky at one employer, and considered it to be overly controlling of the computer. Programs were incompatible, etc,etc.

Eset might be OK, but it was rated less effective.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

According to Wiki..

In December 2015, the "AVG Web TuneUp" Google Chrome extension (automatically installed with AVG AntiVirus) was revealed to contain multiple critical security vulnerabilities.[21] Most notably, Chrome users' browsing history could be exposed to any website, cookies from any site the user has visited could be read by an attacker, and trivial cross-site scripting (XSS) issues could allow any website to execute arbitrary code (as another domain).

Comment

You will love this one Jerry. Evidently you did not opt out of the chrome install when you installed AVG FREE.

All you have to do is follow the steps at https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000DnZWAA0 to change the setting that lets you opt out of the chrome install when using AVG FREE.

Yes, that's only 16 steps AND then the install steps to reinstall AVG. Didn't I say your LOVE it??? {wink}

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Since I do not use Chrome, no such extension.

AVG has a good history with me. If it begins to be an issue, it will be replaced.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Maybe see if AVG has installed an extension for the browser you do use. There is a good possibility that they did install one, and that it likely has similar basic security problems as the Chrome version.

Comment

AVG is like a screen door.. Keeps out the little annoying insects.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                    AVG is like a screen door.. Keeps out the little annoying insects.
                    What do you suggest (free options)?
                    I have been using AVG for several years without incident. I have tried a couple of others but find the AVG interface easy to use and intuitive, plus it doesn't barrage me with ads to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                      I have been using AVG for several years without incident. I have tried a couple of others but find the AVG interface easy to use and intuitive, plus it doesn't barrage me with ads to upgrade.
                      I wasn't really picking on AVG. They are all basically the same so it doesn't really matter. I personally tend to prefer Windows Defender on Win10 but not because it's any better than the other screen doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                        Evidently you lead a charmed life! My AVG is constantly bombarding me with upgrade solicitations!

On another computer I have AVAST. I find it much less bothersome. Also the AVG machine surfs at a crawl at times. I'm suspecting an intentional slow-down to entice me to buy additional features.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I would say any AVS is better than none. But have to point out that you guys saying you have
                          never had an issue with AVG have just seen AVG install software that was unwanted. AVG did
                          that ... not Chrome.

BTW .. Chrome is my go to. I like it.
                          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

I just upgraded my AVG - came back from vacation and did a stupid.

A ton of emails and one supposedly from amazon where I'd bought some stuff to click on a track your package button
                            I was in a hurry and did it but was instantly shut down. Going back and looking at the email I noticed the phony email address

30 bucks is cheap insurance for when I'm not thinking. I know I can get it free but they have to eat too.
                            But as said watch carefully for the little uncheck box
                            Last edited by KIMFAB; 11-28-2017, 05:13 PM.
                            Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

It might not have been AVG that did it, it was first noticed after the upgrade, ao I blamed them. It WOULD be the very first time I have seen that action, however, I may have been hasty in blaming them.

As for the browser extension, it came a while back, it got disabled and deleted. Would probably be fine if it worked.

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                              You will love this one Jerry. Evidently you did not opt out of the chrome install when you installed AVG FREE.

All you have to do is follow the steps at https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000DnZWAA0 to change the setting that lets you opt out of the chrome install when using AVG FREE.

Yes, that's only 16 steps AND then the install steps to reinstall AVG. Didn't I say your LOVE it??? {wink}

Dan
                              I opted out of ALL add-on-ware at that time. I'm wise to that trick.

Usually you only get the nasty stuff when you download from someone other than the actual source, or FileHippo, which is usually pretty clean. Pretty much all the others will attach, or try to attach, some piece of crapware that you really do not want. A few REQUIRE you to install the other junk, or they do not work. So, do not use those.

It easily could have been some some pop-up that came up, and was OK'd by a fat-finger mistype on a ley. I've seen those go by ina literal "flash". But I do not recall any sych at the time.

No help re-hashing, we all know the drill. And it is deleted.
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 11-28-2017, 06:33 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X