Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: A good one, Chrome being "push installed".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVG is an OK program. I've also used Norton, McAfee, AVG and now Windows Defender. I've yet to have a virus using any of them in the past 15 years. Part of that I believe has to do with how you use a computer. If you download lots of things from unusual sites, you are much more at risk than if you stick with known good ones.

I have a sign on my monitor that says "Do not download anything." Of course, now and then I have violate that rule, but I try to stick with sites that I know. JMHO. YMMV.

Comment

Norton was good 20 years ago. Norton and especially McAfee seen now to BE viruses. I suspect Kaspersky to be one as well.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Alas, no one read my post. AVG DID INSTALL chrome for you. It says so in the link I provided in post #6. It also suggests that it will continue reinstalling Chrome unless you turn it off by unchecking the "opt in" box in the AVG free install.

We had similar problems with some Oracle java software installs that included a free 90 day anti virus. No thanks.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
          Alas, no one read my post. AVG DID INSTALL chrome for you. It says so in the link I provided in post #6. It also suggests that it will continue reinstalling Chrome unless you turn it off by unchecking the "opt in" box in the AVG free install.

We had similar problems with some Oracle java software installs that included a free 90 day anti virus. No thanks.

Dan
          I read it! I read it! Yes, some of those places are now telling you what you are going to have on your computer. I have no doubt that Chrome is jamming people with AVG automatically as your link says and others are doing the same thing.

Comment

I like Chome & Adblock, best browser I've had & I never see any ads at all, but live in the dark ages if you wish. Yea that wheel idea is just a fad I'm sure that won't catch on. I know you're from "the show me state" Looks like AVG just showed you.
            Last edited by flylo; 11-28-2017, 07:56 PM.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
              I would say any AVS is better than none. But have to point out that you guys saying you have
              never had an issue with AVG have just seen AVG install software that was unwanted. AVG did
              that ... not Chrome.

BTW .. Chrome is my go to. I like it.
              I agree with you on this, Mike. I used Netscape Navigator a couple of decades ago, I.E. off and on for a bit, and then went with Firefox. When Chrome became available, I never looked back.

Dan L
              Salem, Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                I like Chome & Adblock, best browser I've had & I never see any ads at all, but live in the dark ages if you wish. Yea that wheel idea is just a fad I'm sure that won't catch on. I know you're from "the show me state" Looks like AVG just showed you.
                WTF, Dude?

Chrome with adblock, FF with adblock.... did you actually have , like, some sort of point and stuff?

FF is not in the dark ages just because "Gungle" didn't write it.

Save your ire and spleen for the folks who are still using XP, if you want to sneer at those who do not adopt every new thing instantly.....

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  It might not have been AVG that did it, it was first noticed after the upgrade, ao I blamed them. It WOULD be the very first time I have seen that action, however, I may have been hasty in blaming them.
                  From my own experience and yours I don't believe you need to apologize for blaming AVG for sneaking in a no option software package on the tail of supposedly an "update".
                  We all know how to do custom installations of software just for the very fact so that we can see the the check boxes in time to uncheck them so that we don't end up with so many toolbars that any portion of a usable screen is only a fond memory.

A couple of links below from other victims of unwanted software from AVG when all they thought they were receiving was a program update.

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000DoDoAAK

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000DnZWAA0
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

The fact that Chrome's corporate overlords seem to believe it needs to be force installed or included with other software prevents me from using it. It's just like a desperate guy trying to get a date. I won't get in to a relationship with a web browser that's desperate.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                      A couple of links below from other victims of unwanted software from AVG when all they thought they were receiving was a program update.
                      I was not given a choice.... it just happened with NO questions and NO checkboxes. And I HAD unchecked everything except real AVG stuff back when I installed AVG. I now have them (again) on ask, instead of auto-update, for the program. Virus defs I leave on auto.
                      Last edited by J Tiers; 11-28-2017, 10:15 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

I guess I'm lucky. I have enough bandwidth and enough disk space that installing a third browser without my asking for it is a non event. After all, I never asked for IE or any of it's updates either.

I'm also lucky that when I see the default browser set to Chrome, I click the mouse a couple of times to set the default back to my preference.

Then again, I tend not to complain about free software that has sponsors or ads. Someone had to pay for the free versions.

Dan
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Dan... I actively do not want Chrome.... I have scads of disk space.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

I was not given a choice.... it just happened with NO questions and NO checkboxes. And I HAD unchecked everything except real AVG stuff back when I installed AVG. I now have them (again) on ask, instead of auto-update, for the program. Virus defs I leave on auto.
                            Jerry, I realize that. I'm agreeing with what you are saying happened to you.
                            It happened to me as well as those complaining to AVG support to whom it happened as well. See my links, an almost identical scenario.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                              Evidently you lead a charmed life! My AVG is constantly bombarding me with upgrade solicitations!
                              I think I probably have Lynn. But, in the case of AVG, it took a bit of looking to reduce the annoyance. I poked around online and found a link put out by an AVG representative of a version that was less intrusive (somewhat, at least).
                              If you don’t want any pop ups at all, go into the general settings and select ‘silent mode’.

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                              I would say any AVS is better than none. But have to point out that you guys saying you have never had an issue with AVG have just seen AVG install software that was unwanted. AVG did
                              that ... not Chrome.
                              It is free software, and this ruse is commonly employed. Once one knows this, you simply have to be on the lookout for the little box from which to remove the check mark. Easy-peasy.

It might not have been AVG that did it, it was first noticed after the upgrade, ao I blamed them. It WOULD be the very first time I have seen that action, however, I may have been hasty in blaming them.
                              It was AVG alright, and not the first time I have run into this. I recently did the update and had to un-check the ‘install Chrome’ box.
                              You just had a problem with Firefox due to the same failing. As you know, when you install new software, always go into the options and give them a good looking over. In the case of Firefox, (and windows 7), I set the option for ‘check for updates but let me choose to install them’.

For those who may be unaware - with AVG, look at the update settings. The definitions update should be set to automatic, but under ‘program’, click the box for ‘ask when an update is downloaded’, or ‘ask when an update is available’. If you do this, the software will wait for you instead of installing automatically, and you can remove the check mark before the update.

When given a choice, I never let software update when IT wants - else the problem JT had with FF and AVG. Both easily avoided via the setting menu.
                              Also always take a good look at the privacy settings. There is usually all sorts of crap enabled by default, like the inclusion of their email signature, participation in sending data back to them, etc, as well as the many settings that simply make living with the software nicer.

Whenever there is a major update, the settings must be re-checked, since they are often reset to what THEY want (several were changed with this last AVG update).

It is FREE software, after all, so it is perhaps not so unreasonable to try and put something over on us. I don’t like having to check any more than anyone else, but this is the price we pay for not paying their price.

Comment

Joel:

We all know to uncheck that crap.

The issue is that one does not know that previously checked or unchecked selections get changed during an update that does not even show up. FF was told not to update without asking. It did so anyway. AVG was told likewise, and, likewise, it did so anyway.

Either the updates pay no attention to those selections, which IS true of some things, OR minor updates that are not even noticed uncheck or check undesired options.

It is my opinion that many such selections are simply ignored. Who could prove what was, or was not done before? The files are erased, you have nothing to prove any of it, and the S/W company can simply say that you selected the update, and they delivered it as asked to. Even the install files are gone.

We will see if AVG re installs "crummy" again.
                                Last edited by J Tiers; 11-29-2017, 12:00 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                                X