Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: A good one, Chrome being "push installed".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For quite a few years now, I have purchased either Norton or McAfee, and I have not had any problem with viruses. A couple times I got caught by malicious websites, but found that somehow the browsing safety had been disabled, probably after a Firefox update. I only pay about $20 a year for McAfee from vendors on eBay, and the protection applies to all my devices.

I have both Chrome and IE on my Win8 computer, although the IE cannot be updated without upgrading to Win8.1, which seemed to render some of my programs inoperable or wonky.

I still don't use my Win10 machine very much, but I will need to do so in order to test some software I provide for my Ortmaster product. I had a serial COM Delphi component that worked up until Win8, but failed on Win10. I used another one but it had other problems, and now I think one of the Win10 updates may have fixed the original problem. It also seems that the Win10 updates un-installed my custom USB serial driver and replaced it with their Microsoft driver which it determined was "best", although it broke my program, and it's a real hassle to re-install my (unsigned) driver.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      FF was told not to update without asking. It did so anyway. AVG was told likewise, and, likewise, it did so anyway.
      Well, FWIW, neither of those automatically updated for me, and none of those settings had been nor have been changed by the vendors. AVG did recheck 'add AVG signature' and 'participate in AVG community' after this last update. I am pretty sure (but not positive) that I had both turned off.
      I had plenty of trouble with Win 10 changing various settings for several updates, but that seems to have stopped. Having to be so diligent does get old...

The 'update' setting in Firefox is easy to find, but one has to look more closely to find it in AVG.

Comment

I've had AVG at home and at work for 15 years plus,both are paid subscriptions.Haven't had any problems with viruses since knock on wood.

However,in the past 3 or so years I have had the following-

Double billed twice
        Had installation issues that were persistent even with their online support
        Still have one computer dropping renewal notices and update notices at ever power on.

AVG it seems aren't what they used to be,but it's still better than anything Norton has to offer.

Oh,and I have had a much easier life since installing Adblock on both machines which leads me to believe pop-up and drive-by ads are responsible for a lot of shenanigans.
        Last edited by wierdscience; 11-29-2017, 10:13 AM.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

WTF, Dude?

Chrome with adblock, FF with adblock.... did you actually have , like, some sort of point and stuff?

FF is not in the dark ages just because "Gungle" didn't write it.

Save your ire and spleen for the folks who are still using XP, if you want to sneer at those who do not adopt every new thing instantly.....
          Just telling what works for me. Sounds like you're about to have a stroke, must be computer withdrawl. Maybe take a week off & go fishing, hunting or go work in the shop if you have one & know how. There is life beyond the keyboard
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
            Just telling what works for me. Sounds like you're about to have a stroke, must be computer withdrawl. .....
            Oh stow it.... I mean that in a nice way

No, my computer does not have a drawl...... nor does it drool, that's the neighbor's dog.

Stroke? What? Where would you get that? Most of the folks complaining about the push installs are a lot more hot headed than me.... Took maybe 3 min to uninstall "Chrome". If this install gets to be a habit with AVG, I will just uninstall THAT and deal with it.

No, it's just resigned disgust with this BS..... Your computer is no longer just a useful tool for you to use, it is a profit center for someone else whom you do not know..... and in many cases, do not WANT to know.

Push installs, bogus emails several a day that want you to click on a link for the email "that could not be delivered", or the link for the package tracking when there is no package, etc, etc..... All sorts of attempts to exploit internet users in some destructive way by anonymous ill-wishers.
            Last edited by J Tiers; 11-29-2017, 01:59 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

All here have referenced AVG, AVAST, Norton, McAfee, and win defender.
              Anyone have anything to say about AVIRA?
              Has worked well for me for several years.
              They do however try to sneak in a Chrome install sometimes.
              John Burchett
              in Byng OK

Comment

If you do read the EULA then somewhere in there it says by agreeing to use this software we can download anything we want into your "puter IE: annoying programs designed to drive you mad and generally bugger up your machine, put in spyware to copy all your private info so we can blackmail you later and steal all your money. You also owe us your first born son which you will deliver to us, in China, at your expense. All that for marginally useful "Freeware".

Anything you get for free on the net, Ain't.

You gota love the future. Unfortunately it is here.
                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

It updated again today, but did NOT install "Chrome".... says it is 57.0.1 though, which is what I thought it was before.....

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

It updated again today, but did NOT install "Chrome".... says it is 57.0.1 though, which is what I thought it was before.....
                    Firefox just came out with v57.0.1 yesterday or the day before.

Comment

Who runs Linux as their primary OS?

I run it on a side machine, and am trying to slowly move off my Win7 machine. Just one or two more annoyances with MS, and it will move to the side machine.

Ed
                      For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by ed_h View Post
                        I do.

Comment

Several of us do. I'm running Ubuntu on a Dell laptop and have no problems with it. The original disk drive with Win 8 is on a shelf in my computer room. It booted into windows exactly 4 times, and that was to get it through all the initial downloads and updates. After that I popped the SSD drive out of my old Sony laptop and put it into the Dell.

Boots fast. Runs silently. Even the touch screen works well.

Dan

P.S. I do have a working Win7 laptop in the back room for "just in case". That's just in case I run into software that I NEED to run on windows. It has not been booted this year.
                          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I haven't used an anti virus program for at least a decade. I do use Sandboxie instead after being made aware of it by Evan. I figure the money I have saved over the years will buy my next computer when this one dies of old age.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_r View Post
                              Firefox just came out with v57.0.1 yesterday or the day before.
                              Yeah... I realized I was thinking of another program that was updated recently.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by ed_h View Post

I run it on a side machine, and am trying to slowly move off my Win7 machine. Just one or two more annoyances with MS, and it will move to the side machine.

Ed
                                Been running Ubuntu Linux on my desktop/laptop for years. Currently running v16.04 LTS.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X