Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: A good one, Chrome being "push installed".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ed_h View Post
    Who runs Linux as their primary OS?
    I do. For over 20 years.

When I need windows for an important application, I run a corporate edition of win7 or xp in a virtual machine (virtualbox). It does not have access to the network. If I need to try or use a 'new' windows app, I install it in a new virtual machine so it cannot interfere with my other key apps.

If I want to try a new version of linux, I install it in a vm. Etc.

Web browser auto update under linux? That is not allowed - they do not have the ability to write to anything except the download directory.

Comment

I like Chrome, it is my go-to browser. Still use I.E. sometimes. Never really loved Firefox, though I don't have anything against it.

I don't believe anyone mentioned Unchecky (https://unchecky.com/), which automatically unchecks the pre-checked boxes in an installation and warns you if you check them. It's small, light and unobtrusive. I install it for all of my elderly clients, helps reduce the unintended crap that hitch-hikes in.

I used and recommended AVG Free for years, until I encountered a root-kit on a client's machine that had gotten past and disabled AVG. I reinstalled AVG, but it couldn't find the virus. I then installed Avast Free, which immediately found and removed the offender. Used Avast until the upgrade offers and non-essential pop-ups (Warning! You have gunk in your browser!) caused too many unnecessary calls from clients. Switched to Panda Free, which I like and still use, though I am starting to switch to Bitdefender Free due to better ratings.
      Last edited by MrWhoopee; 12-02-2017, 01:10 PM.
      It's all mind over matter.
      If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Pay? I have used the free Microsoft Defender (was "essentials") for years. No issues.

Comment

Working...
        X