Parts washer liquid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts washer liquid

I'll be installing a parts washer in the basement shop but really need to use a washing solution
    that has either a pleasant or no odor or I'll never hear the end of it.

Suggestions please!
    Len

Just so I don't bring the wrath of the environment Nazis, use one of the soaps made for that purpose and throw in a 1/4 cup of Pinesol. Or pour that 20-year old bottle of Old Spice into it.

Comment

The parts washer in the machine shop where I worked just used Simple Green. It was in somewhat higher concentration than the stuff in the spray bottle, but not a great deal IIRC. It had heater in the tank that raised it to about 110F or so which seemed to make it noticeably more aggressive as a cleaner. It was not smelly, not flammable, and not inherently overly hazardous waste. Seemed to work pretty well.

Comment

I've heard lots of good stuff about simple green. Haven't tried it myself yet but will some day.
        Andy

Comment

we use armaclean at work, has to be heated to work, but works well.

Comment

I use a light mineral spirit type solvent in my parts washer, can't think of the name of it, it does a good job of removing caked on grease, oil and gunk, and it doesn't have a very strong odor as long as you don't leave the washed parts lying around the shop. I always take them outside and blow them dry......... and it's also non flammable.
            With all the different brands and types out there now I wouldn't know what to recommend but I don't think you will get satisfactory results with stuff like Simple Green or any other soapy detergent.

JL.................

Comment

All the solvents that I have found to work well have skull and cross bones symbols on the containers.
              So I cant recommend anything safe and friendly for you.

Comment

Simple green contains butyl cellosolve.

https://resources.cleanitsupply.com/...13006_MSDS.PDF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Butoxyethanol

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  Simple green contains butyl cellosolve.
                  Wiki says long term exposure may not be good for you.

Simple green's label says that it's not safe for all paints. My wife used it on our deck because it said "not safe for paint" and the redwood deck was stained, not painted. I had to redo the whole deck.

Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                    Wiki says long term exposure may not be good for you.

Simple green's label says that it's not safe for all paints. My wife used it on our deck because it said "not safe for paint" and the redwood deck was stained, not painted. I had to redo the whole deck.

Dan
                    I've used Simple Green to strip paint, so keep that in mind when dealing with the stuff.

FWIW, my ultrasonic cleaner works much better with hot/warm Simple Green.

I've got this Alconox stuff that's odor free, but I tend to just keep the Simple Green in my ultrasonic cleaner. I'm happy with the results of the Simple Green and it's a lot cheaper.

Comment

Simple green is a brand... not just the original product. There's one that is simply a green version of purple cleaner...

And dozens more...

http://simplegreen.com/products/

Comment

I also have a parts washer in a basement shop. My wife was always complaining about a solvent smell until I changed to Simple Green Automotive Cleaner. I buy it from Northern Tool in a 5 gallon container.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgI4tPD_BwE

It can be diluted up to 10:1. The only caveat is that once the parts are clean they should be rinsed with water and thoroughly dried. If the solvent isn't removed it will turn to a thick gummy coating

Comment

Originally posted by projectnut View Post
                          I also have a parts washer in a basement shop. My wife was always complaining about a solvent smell until I changed to Simple Green Automotive Cleaner. I buy it from Northern Tool in a 5 gallon container.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgI4tPD_BwE

It can be diluted up to 10:1. The only caveat is that once the parts are clean they should be rinsed with water and thoroughly dried. If the solvent isn't removed it will turn to a thick gummy coating
                          An added inconvenience. You have to rinse with water, after rinsed then they have to be dried or you will have rust or orange spots.

Who needs more work.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdropper View Post
                            I've used Simple Green to strip paint, so keep that in mind when dealing with the stuff.

FWIW, my ultrasonic cleaner works much better with hot/warm Simple Green.

I've got this Alconox stuff that's odor free, but I tend to just keep the Simple Green in my ultrasonic cleaner. I'm happy with the results of the Simple Green and it's a lot cheaper.
                            Simple Green was recommended to me by a bluing hot salts supplier as a cleaner degreaser before hot blue as an alternative to the lye stuff that the bluing guys use.
                            A warm water solution and a rinse. My parts came out all splotchy because the stuff just didn't cut the oil, so I would be very doubtful that any of these soaps would make for a good choice for a solvent wash tank, especially with caked on crud.

JL...............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                              Simple Green was recommended to me by a bluing hot salts supplier as a cleaner degreaser before hot blue as an alternative to the lye stuff that the bluing guys use.
                              A warm water solution and a rinse. My parts came out all splotchy because the stuff just didn't cut the oil, so I would be very doubtful that any of these soaps would make for a good choice for a solvent wash tank, especially with caked on crud.

JL...............
                              Simple Green makes at least 2 dozen different cleaning products. Everything from Aircraft and precision cleaner to home carpet cleaner. Just because one of their products didn't do the job doesn't mean none of them will work. I use the automotive cleaner in a 5:1 solution with warm water. In a heated parts washer it works well on everything I've attempted to clean. Most of the parts I clean are for industrial or shop machinery that get coated with all kinds of crud. I've even used it to clean parts from tractors and other construction equipment. The rinse and dry is an added step, but it's far preferable to smell of the Stoddard solvent I was using in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X