Hope this works out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope this works out.

So I need some axles in a 40" disc to run fairly true. I only have a 10" lathe.

The discs are only 1/2" thick so I wanted to build up a few to get some leverage in the axle and spread out the force in the 40" disc.

So I cut out a 8" disc, and then a 12" disc with the 2" axle hole int he center.

I wended the axle to the smaller 8" disc and trued it up int he lathe. Then used that disc to hopefully hold the axle true when welded to the bigger discs. Much like a bolt on axle on a truck.

Andy

So what is it going to be when finished?

Comment

Well if nothing else your mig welding looks pretty nice!

Comment

Looks like it should work. I assume that was flux core wire? Mighty fine welding there.

Dan
        Last edited by danlb; 11-28-2017, 09:02 PM.
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

That was with gas, I had the welder turned up decent so it was fairly hot, I think that is what the spatter is from.

Will be a snow compactor for one of the local snowmobile clubs for doing trails.
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
            That was with gas, I had the welder turned up decent so it was fairly hot, I think that is what the spatter is from.

Will be a snow compactor for one of the local snowmobile clubs for doing trails.
            How cool is that ? The thing looks like it will work perfectly.

Grammer question: Does a rhetorical question require a question mark ?
            John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Looks like ten feet wide. What will pull it? Empty, I assume

Comment

Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
                Looks like ten feet wide. What will pull it? Empty, I assume
                Yes the roller is 10', the frame over all is just shy of 11' wide.

It will be pulled with a tractor. They used to use groomers around here but they are harder to get parts for and get worked on and a tractor works just as well. I am sure I will eventually get a pic of it behind the tractor. Also yes empty, the weight of everything adds up fast and no weight may have to be added. I explained if weight is needed we can weld on tractor weight hangers to the frame any time.
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                  Does a rhetorical question require a question mark ?
                  Good question!
                  Yes. See here: https://www.google.com/search?q=ques...nt=firefox-b-1

Also ...no space need precede the question mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                    How cool is that ? The thing looks like it will work perfectly.

Grammer question: Does a rhetorical question require a question mark ?
                    A rhetorical question mark. Example:

Does a bear crap in the woods⸮

Comment

Great work. You really should do your welding first, then machine the axle true afterwards but obviously that would be very difficult to do in this situation. If you do end up having issues with the axle trueness, you could try welding the axle to a smaller 8" plate, then turn the 8" plate and true up the axle, then bolt the 8" plate with the axle to the center of the 40" plate. That way, you're still able to machine the axle after welding it, and just mechanically attaching it to the 40" plate after it is trued up.

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
                        A rhetorical question mark. Example:

Does a bear crap in the woods⸮
                        Is it ok to yell movie in a crowded firehouse?

Comment

Only if there's no fire alarm...

Comment

Mounted the roller to the frame today and she spins with surprisingly little effort. However as expected culverts aren't balanced very well so it won't free spin for long haha. Another good one is a culvert isn't round either. Common for 1/2" runout, some places with 3/4" runout and a spot or two with close to a full inch variation. This will make for a pretty wide gap at the scraper bar.
                            Andy

Comment

VPT, your welding really is the bomb. I mean it looks like robotically, machine laden perfect beads. Can you share the details of what type of welder you used, settings method etc? I'd like to be able to weld 1/4th that good using my Hobart gas mig unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X