Monochromic light source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monochromic light source

Does anyone know if this lamp would serve as a light source to use with a optical flat?
    I know its chinese rubbish, and meant for garden parties but it specifically mentions its a monochromic light source, what else would it need to function in this role (wavelength of light?) :-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391841286853

I've got a couple of optical flats, but no monochromic light, so casting around for a really nasty budget solution now I have the expensive part!
    I

"White monochromatic" doesn't sound reassuring. Maybe low pressure sodium lamps (yellow lights used to illuminate roads) will work?

Comment

I would read that in the most liberal sense, from the POV of a non-English speaker who pasted in some non-English text into google translate and then pasted the result into the ebay listing. For this light, I would guess they were trying to get across that it outputs a single, fixed color light, not that it outputs a light of any specific quality such as what you are referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by grzdomagala View Post
        "White monochromatic" doesn't sound reassuring. Maybe low pressure sodium lamps (yellow lights used to illuminate roads) will work?
        If those two words are in the same sentence, white and mono-chromatic, you don't want to go anywhere near it. :-) Usually a Mercury vapor light source with some filtering is used for the purpose you are attempting to do. There are several strong emission lines in Mercury vapor light source. At least that was what was used in the 50s when I took Physics :-)
        ...lew...

Comment

Two thoughts that come to mind for monochromatic light are single colour LEDs ( not true monochromatic but usually close enough for many purposes) or you could try a laser pointer ( with some form of diffuser in front) as lasers are true monochromatic sources, the question being if they are bright enough for the application.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Have a read this may help.
            http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=161097

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X