700w rms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
    So if I play the toccata for Widor's 5th symphony or Fireball by Deep Purple I'm going to hit 700W RMS? Sorry, not going to happen on 80W of input!
    The 80 W is for a standardised test.... the test is intended to find what LOAD the audio amp will put on the electric system, it is NOT related to what it draws at full power. it is for allocating to circuits, etc, etc. Electric service purposes....

However, YES, you can "hit 700W" on close to 80W input..... Actually it won't be 700W, but 1400W peak.

The reason is that music has peaks. Generally short peaks. If those peaks exceed the amplifier output, and that is not hard to do, then they are "clipped", the amp produces what it can, and no more. That causes distortion, which sounds bad. REALLY bad, like a lousy guitar amp turned up all the way.

If you cranked up to even hit 1/3 of max power, it would sound like a little transistor radio cranked to maximum, only louder. Distorted as heck, buzzy, nasty, you would not like it unless your ears are made of cloth.

That is why the lower output is used in the test to see what load is placed on the electric system by the amplifier.... because nobody with functioning ears could stand to turn it up much more than that.

If you did a test of the amplifiers at continuous max output, then you would get a power input of (in this case) something on the order of 740W, the output power plus a few percent losses. But since that is not a user condition, the "power draw" figure for electrical purposes is not 740 W, it is arrived at with the test I described.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 11-29-2017, 09:29 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

If that 80 watts rating is some light duty test and it'll suck whatever it needs up to some value out of the wall as required then that's a whole other ball of wax.

The new systems are crazy though. I guess it's related to the use of the very small speakers and likely relying on filtering to get a flat response with such speakers. But that much power through the old more efficient large box speakers would have caused pretty rapid deafness if not broken windows......

Comment

I'm truly astonished how well this system sounds. I got it on sale for $97 and the reviews were all excellent so I figured it should be good enough for a shop stereo -- it's definitely much better than I expected; however, I still can't figure out how this thing sounds this well but looks like it should sound like a clock radio.

Here is a video. The sound is actually terrible from the iPhone microphone. It sounded very rich with deep clean bass.

Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 11-29-2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
          I still can't figure out how this thing sounds this well but looks like it should sound like a clock radio.

The magic of good design!

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
            Probably rated the same way they do shop vacs.

That was my first thought. You beat me to it. :-)
            ...lew...

Comment

The 64 gauge speaker wire is obviously an oxygen free audiophile grade that matches the billet aluminum master volume control knob, thus culminating in those rich glorious tones. Hey it sounds great on my tiny blue teeth PC speakers.

The important thing to remember is that it sounds great in your shop for under a 100 bucks and that it lasts for a 5 years or better. The rest is just fluff.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Yea, and go to the lumber yard and find a piece of lumber that measures an actual 2" x 4". Or a piece of plywood that is actually 3/4" or 1/2" thick.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I am not getting one..
                  Guess I am just going to be stuck with my Sansui BA 3000 and CA 3000 amp set..
                  I will suffer through it.
                  I suspect one of my transformers weighs more than the speakers in the pic.

Comment

Consider what is needed for 720 watts into 8 ohm speaker load. P = E^2/R, so E = sqrt(5600) = 74.8 Volts. RMS. So for a sine wave that is 210 volts P-P. I doubt the power supply has voltage aywhere near that. Maybe if you put eight 8 ohm speakers in parallel, for a load of 1 ohm. Then 700 watts can be 26 volts RMS or 74 volts P-P. That would be 27 amps. I suppose a stereo system with four 8 ohm speakers on each, or a quadraphonic system with 4 ohms on each output, might be possible.

Actually, true power of about 10 watts is very loud for a typical room or a car. Hundreds of watts are only needed for large outdoor venues like Woodstock, or for car audio competitions.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                      Actually, true power of about 10 watts is very loud for a typical room or a car.
                      Yep.

Hundreds of watts are only needed for large outdoor venues like Woodstock, or for car audio competitions.
                      The original Woodstock sound system was around 12,000 W. The Grateful Dead's "wall of sound" was more than double that.

Comment

I was dragged out a few years ago by the Students Next Door (I had the car...) to see Dillinja with the Valve Sound System - 30kw of *VALVE* amplified Drum n' Bass, trouser-flapping bass and earplugs handed out on the door The equipment racks were quite impressive, and they didn't need the heating turned on in the hall...

Dave H. (the other one)
                        Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                          Consider what is needed for 720 watts into 8 ohm speaker load. P = E^2/R, so E = sqrt(5600) = 74.8 Volts. RMS. So for a sine wave that is 210 volts P-P. I doubt the power supply has voltage aywhere near that. Maybe if you put eight 8 ohm speakers in parallel, for a load of 1 ohm. Then 700 watts can be 26 volts RMS or 74 volts P-P. That would be 27 amps. I suppose a stereo system with four 8 ohm speakers on each, or a quadraphonic system with 4 ohms on each output, might be possible.

Actually, true power of about 10 watts is very loud for a typical room or a car. Hundreds of watts are only needed for large outdoor venues like Woodstock, or for car audio competitions.
                          I forgot to mention the speakers said 3 ohms on the back. I was a little surprised by that and the tiny gauge speaker wires.

Comment

Come on man,go full AVE on it and show us what's inside!
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My Carver is 650w/ch rms. Yes, there is such a thing as rms watts. The input power consumption is specified as 1500w at full power. Must be pre-CE rating system. I'd bet good money this stereo can't stand up to mine in a bass contest.

Comment

My dedicated home theater has four Marantz MM7025 which together provide 8x 140W channels. I'm only using 7 of those 140w channels for the center/2xleft/2xRight rear and side surround speakers. I also have two 12" subs at <= 200hz each powered with their own 200W amp. I had to install a 20A dedicated circuit. She's definitely lots of fun, but definitely over kill as we typically don't need to drive her more than 20% to get the most earth shaking, spine tingling, hair raising, goose-bump exploding experience you can imagine.

Comment

Working...
                                X