• Show
Clear All

• O.T. Smart electric meters

Sound familiar??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WeDtQ7sXHU

What an arsehole!
    Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

I didn't listen long to this, but considering that there is a big case in the US Supreme Court right now about metadata and the 4'th amendment perhaps we should consider one other thing...

These smart meters can tell the utility companies not only how many kWh you use, but also your pattern of usage. Depending on the decisions in the court, you might not have a reasonable expectation of privacy for this data. It might not be private at all. They might be free to sell that data to marketing companies, who can blend that in with other data to help refine your consumer profile. Furthermore police and government investigators might be able to freely access that data and correlate low power usage with the times of sports or political events in town.

Comment

Google has been following to you for years. You don't seem to mind that. All those folks that have Flash Player turned on for everyone should know that your browsing habits are sent directly to Google. Your history is captured out of the Analytics routines in Flash Player even though there many not be any Flash video to play on the page.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
          I didn't listen long to this, but considering that there is a big case in the US Supreme Court right now about metadata and the 4'th amendment perhaps we should consider one other thing...

These smart meters can tell the utility companies not only how many kWh you use, but also your pattern of usage. Depending on the decisions in the court, you might not have a reasonable expectation of privacy for this data. It might not be private at all. They might be free to sell that data to marketing companies, who can blend that in with other data to help refine your consumer profile. Furthermore police and government investigators might be able to freely access that data and correlate low power usage with the times of sports or political events in town.
          Oh boy, watch out for them black helicopters. And you don’t think the mom & pop corner store didn’t know your weekly pattern of usage of milk and bread in 1953? Puhleeze!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

While we're on the subject how many people would still be alive if the banned beer & booze & not guns? My sister died because of a drunk driver. I don't understand why people can't have a good time without being sh*tfaced.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by rklopp View Post
              Oh boy, watch out for them black helicopters. And you don’t think the mom & pop corner store didn’t know your weekly pattern of usage of milk and bread in 1953? Puhleeze!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              They didn't report it to headquarters........

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Sheesh, there's more personal info gleaned from credit card/debit card transactions than one would ever acquire from electricity consumption time slots. I'll bet that dude has both and I don't see him advocating that everybody burn their cards.

Went thru the same doomsday predictions here several years ago and just like the angst perpetrated by the hospitality industry when smoking was banned in restaurants and bars it simply hasn't gone anywhere.

Information gathering technologies are part and parcel of modern life and are here to stay. Whether it's a black box in your car or a transaction at the mall someone is watching. Don't like it, live off the land underneath a stack of cedar bows out in the boonies.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

My neighbor lady across the street would not let the power company put one the these smart meters on her house because she thought they would kill her, So the power company had to send someone out each month to read just her meter. Well a few months ago they came and installed a post out away from her house and put a smart meter on it, then they sent her a bill for the whole thing. She also complained to her next door neighbor the fumes from their cloths dryer was making her sick, they told her to get lost. She complained about the light from the street light was effecting her. Now she claims the vapor trails from jets flying over are dumping poison on us all. What a sad story.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

I saw Elvis Motor State Distributing buying hot rod parts. Him & George Lane have been friends since George started in his garage years ago. Elvis is looking old.
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                      My neighbor lady across the street would not let the power company put one the these smart meters on her house because she thought they would kill her, So the power company had to send someone out each month to read just her meter. Well a few months ago they came and installed a post out away from her house and put a smart meter on it, then they sent her a bill for the whole thing. She also complained to her next door neighbor the fumes from their cloths dryer was making her sick, they told her to get lost. She complained about the light from the street light was effecting her. Now she claims the vapor trails from jets flying over are dumping poison on us all. What a sad story.
                      Sent someone once a month?
                      In here they asked you to write the numbers on paper and send it back in post. Maybe once in 10 or 20 years there was someone actually checking the meter.
                      Water metering works the same way except I'm too lazy to even report the reading so they bill me by estimate

Comment

We had to call it in once a month when we bought the farm & I thought I was a smart meter.
                        ~ James Madison

Comment

Here all along I thought a meter was a stick about 39.36 inches long . :-) Smart or otherwise .
                          ...lew...

Comment

It's not the data collection that bugs me, it's their computer deciding when I am comfortable. I'm an old codger and I don't like the indoor temperature too high in summer, or to cold in winter.

In my opinion, so long as I pay bills, the utility companies have no business deciding where my thermostat should be set, or how long my AC should run.
                            Jim

Comment

Where I live, the power company switched to all smart meters. I was all for it too after I got a bill one month for $3,000 on the old meter. The meter reader missed a couple of digits that month. Now all of the meters are read automatically back at the office. I prefer it that way.

Having the power company set your level of usage is a separate program in which you have to enroll voluntarily. I'm not on that program.

Comment

Working...
                              X