Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions needed

Hello All
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Shars lathe chucks? I am looking at a 5" 3-jaw with reversible jaws for my 9" SB(about $135 plus a threaded plate.

And opinions on the mini-mill belt drive conversion on ebay for about $100?

Cheers
    Last edited by gweloboy; 11-29-2017, 09:37 PM.

I just bought from Shars two 6” three-jaw flat-back chucks with top jaws for use in a fixture at work. They’re OK, not junk, but built to a price. They did not spend much on deburring. I expected garbage chuck wrenches, but they were decent. I think the quality has gone up a lot compared to the “good” old days of, for example, Enco pre-MSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought one a couple years ago, not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised. The build a finish are actually pretty good, with the usual clean up. The #3 jaw is consistently about .004 out, but its consistent, and I have a nice 4 jaw when I need it better than that. I made a set of soft jaws for it a while back for a project, worked extremely well, all 12 parts i made with them were within .001. All in all, its not a Buck or Bison, but definitely been worth what I paid.
      "Never bring a caliper to a mic fight"

Comment

Do you mean this belt conversion?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sieg-X2-Min...IAAOSwTtFZ1OOz

If,so,then,yes,I bought one for my X2 several years ago and haven't looked back.It's much quieter,carries more power and is much less fragile than the gears.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Opinions needed.
          You came to the right place, you may not get answers but probably 10-20 pages of opinions, most from people who don't have a clue what you're asking or what it is but don't want to miss a chance I use 4 jaw chucks where you can always get it perfect.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

Hi,

I bought a 4-jaw and a 5C from Shars. I've used the 4 jaw for years as needed. It's not the best chuck I've ever used, but it is more than serviceable. I really should take it apart and do the fettle and polish act on it. But, it does work just good enough to make that more of a hassle than I want to do.
            If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

A friend bought one a couple years ago. It was off a few thou when he tested it with a 1/2" gage pin. It varied throughout the clamping range.
              After about a year the jaws really loosened up. They clamped down unevenly... tighter closer to the chuck face and loose towards the end of the jaws. It became so inaccurate that he bought a better brand name chuck. He also complained about some pin holes, must have been in cast parts.

JL..............
              Last edited by JoeLee; 11-30-2017, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gweloboy View Post
                Hello All
                Does anyone have an opinion on the Shars lathe chucks? I am looking at a 5" 3-jaw with reversible jaws for my 9" SB(about $135 plus a threaded plate.

Cheers
                I had a Shars 3 jaw 6" on an R8 adapter plate for a while, and I felt it was better than any of my other import 3 jaw chucks. I don't have any high end chucks to compare to. For real accuracy I use a 4 jaw or a collet.
                *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I can't speak to the Chuck's value, but the belt drive conversion is a pretty solid thing to have. Now, personally I don't think it's worth $120, but at the same time it's not like there's a better option hanging around. No gears to break, smoother operation, and it may be a placebo effect but I swear I get better surface finishes with the belt.

I say buy it and a breath mint. The belt drive is definitely worth having, and the breath mint will get the taste of **** out of your mouth when you realize that everybody who makes those kits is charging $120 for $30 worth of parts

Comment

I dunno, i don't think it's that bad of a deal. If you could find those exact pulleys for sale, I doubt that you could get them for less than $15-20 each, and that's a big if. You could save money by making it yourself, but it would take some time (and material) and you'd need a lathe. So for a low effort hassle free set up, I don't think $120 is unreasonable.

Comment

Hello All

Cheers
                      I have one of their tiny watchmakers lathe chucks that I like. It's 2" in diameter, 3 jaw, and the jaws are reversible (the teeth on the backs of the jaws that mate with the scroll are lozenge shaped, so they work in either orientation. I measured 0.003" of runout, measured at 2.5" out from the chuck jaws on a test bar. I was pretty happy with that, for the price. As others have said, the finishing isn't the greatest. And you'll want to completely disassemble, clean, and lube it, to get rid of any grit. Don't expect it to be as nice one that costs 4 times as much, and you probably won't be disappointed.
                      Max
                      http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the help.
                        I have emailed the shars seller on ebay to ask why the 5"is more expensive than the 6" but will probably buy it anyway. I was going to try make my own belt drive conversion but could not find any plans online. There was an article in one of the Village Press magazines from a bloke who made one but he gave no indications of diameters etc. The cost of material and shipping is probably equal to the ebay kit.

Comment

Thanks for all the help.
                          I have emailed the shars seller on ebay to ask why the 5"is more expensive than the 6" but will probably buy it anyway. I was going to try make my own belt drive conversion but could not find any plans online. There was an article in one of the Village Press magazines from a bloke who made one but he gave no indications of diameters etc. The cost of material and shipping is probably equal to the ebay kit.
                          Honestly theres nothing too complicated to them, the hardest part to make would probably be the pulleys. The motor mounting plate does require an arc cut into it, but theres nothing that requires a huge amount of precision to that, chain drilling and filing would work fine. I could probably send you some photos of mine if youd like some inspiration, id offer to send you some models but i think thatd get me a visit from a lawyer

Comment

Hello epicfail. Pictures of your project would be appreciated.

Discount machine answered on ebay. We use e-bay for inventory reduction. The current inventory of 5" chucks is satisfactory, however we have a overstock of 6", there for lowering the price on 6" to move the volume we need to.

Is the 6" self-centering chuck too heavy for a 9"SB or is it physically too big?

Comment

Hello epicfail. Pictures of your project would be appreciated.

Discount machine answered on ebay. We use e-bay for inventory reduction. The current inventory of 5" chucks is satisfactory, however we have a overstock of 6", there for lowering the price on 6" to move the volume we need to.

Is the 6" self-centering chuck too heavy for a 9"SB or is it physically too big?
                              Not my project, I just have the LMS conversion installed, otherwise I'd provide dimensions and sketches. I'll get some pictures of the drive PM'd to you at some point in the next day or so, really the entire thing is simple enough that looking at it and having a few basic measurements of your machine is enough to reproduce it

Comment

Working...
                              X