Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion of Delta VFD-M Series Drive

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Opinion of Delta VFD-M Series Drive

    Good Afternoon,

    I know the reputation of the cheap unmentionable VFD's that are abundant on Ebay. I am looking for a decent yet simple VFD for my drill press. I came across a Delta VFD-M for around 80 bucks shipped.

    It seems to be made by a large company and not the dubious generic imports that cause so many issues, however, I am a bit gun shy and hope to get some input from members of the forum.

    Thank you,

    Joe

  • #2
    I don't know about that specific model but I do know that Delta can produce very high quality and capable VFDs, both under their own name and brand labeled for other companies.

    Can you share where you found that price? I could use a couple.

    Comment


    • #3
      Being Taiwanese origin, they are most likely higher quality than mainland China, Huanyang for e.g..
      Rated for up to 7.5HP on 1ph supply.
      Also it appears you can mount the hand unit on the front of the electrical panel eliminating external controls if needed.

      Max.
      Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 11-30-2017, 02:41 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
        Being Taiwanese origin, they are most likely higher quality than mainland China, Huanyang for e.g..
        Rated for up to 7.5HP on 1ph supply.
        Also it appears you can mount the hand unit on the front of the electrical panel eliminating external controls if needed.

        Max.
        I see all the units listed on Ebay are made in China. I hope they aren't knock-offs or repackaged Huanyang units?

        Comment


        • #5
          I like the ones from Automation Direct and have 9 installed on machines in my shop. Easy to program and the remote can be built for under $20 (actually under $10). Support is from USA and they speak English
          Grantham, New Hampshire

          Comment


          • #6
            They don't appear to be, Although Taiwan is part of China, the clincher is in the documentation (or lack of).
            I have found generally if it is Taiwan sourced, it is higher quality than mainland China.
            Max.

            Comment


            • #7
              I am a fan of the Teco 7300 series

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gzig5 View Post
                I don't know about that specific model but I do know that Delta can produce very high quality and capable VFDs, both under their own name and brand labeled for other companies.

                Can you share where you found that price? I could use a couple.
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/322903177768

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks ! I just bought one ! That is a heck of a deal. Its sensorless vector type and has the dynamic braking transistor feature. Those are highly desirable features never found at anywhere near that price range.

                  I have a friend that has a Delta he got used on his cnc router, its worked great for many years now, no issues. I have a non sensorless vector type on my cnc bridgeport and been wanting to upgrade to a sensorless vector type, along with dynamic braking resistor capability, for a long time now. The useable torque/speed range is much wider with sensorless vector type vfd's.
                  Last edited by Sparky_NY; 11-30-2017, 09:04 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have an S series Delta VFD. It was given to me by a friend after Grizzly misdiagnosed a problem and sent a new VFD for the friend's wood lathe.

                    Functionally and appearance, etc it seems comparable to my other higher dollar VFD's. I had to Google for the user manual online, it's certainly better than what Teco and others provide.

                    Grizzly has the Delta units pre-programmed at the Delta factory with password protection on the settings. Grizzly doesn't know the passwords so no way to reset it to default keypad operation. I had to provide a speed control pot and remote start switch as used on the lathes. It's also pre-programmed for 120 hz max.


                    There can be advantages to buying high dollar unit like my Yaskawa VFD. That replaced an obsolete, burned out 16 year old VFD. This is on a CNC lathe with a fairly complicated interface with the CNC control. The dealer spent a fair amount of time helping me with programming and deciphering the control terminals between the old VFD and the new. Not the kind of limited help you'd get with an online supplier.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow, went back to that ebay link less than a hour after I bought one and the seller took down the auction. I am guessing he decided they were selling too fast so he must be priced to cheap. Glad I got one before the auction disappeared.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                        Wow, went back to that ebay link less than a hour after I bought one and the seller took down the auction. I am guessing he decided they were selling too fast so he must be priced to cheap. Glad I got one before the auction disappeared.
                        I bought one too and hopefully the vendor will ship and not try to give a refund claiming an error in the listing. Looks like there are other vendors selling at a similar price but they ship from China.....

                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-NEW-Del....c100227.m3827

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jbacc View Post
                          I bought one too and hopefully the vendor will ship and not try to give a refund claiming an error in the listing. Looks like there are other vendors selling at a similar price but they ship from China.....

                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-NEW-Del....c100227.m3827
                          I got ship notice this morning, via fedex smart post from New Jersey. The same vendor has them listed also but ship from china. I don't know what to make of this, it appears they originate from China, hopefully its not a counterfeit copy, you never know these days.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                            I got ship notice this morning, via fedex smart post from New Jersey. The same vendor has them listed also but ship from china. I don't know what to make of this, it appears they originate from China, hopefully its not a counterfeit copy, you never know these days.
                            I live in NJ which is one of the reasons this vendor caught my eye, I have not received a ship notice as of yet.
                            Last edited by jbacc; 12-01-2017, 06:56 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Received it today... COUNTERFEIT ITEM !!!!!!!

                              Missing delta logo, company name on ID tag is wrong, says Delta eautomation technology Inc, real delta VFD's are made by "Delta Electronics Inc"
                              Box lacks company name and any instructions, real ones have Delta printed on box and a thick manual.
                              Real Delta has UL logo on sticker, these don't

                              For the record, after looking around ebay more, there are a LOT of delta vfd counterfeits on there ! They look identical too except as I noted.

                              These shipped from NJ BUT the vendor is in china.

                              Who knows how good a copy it is, I mean functionally and spec wise. It might be a identical copy but there is no telling. Might go boom in the first few hours too.

                              I notified ebay and requested a refund.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X