X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nc5a
    • Jan 2013

Made a new revolving handle for the shaper

First, I hope I never have to make any more of these. They're a major pain in the ass to make on a manual lathe, especially using 4130. I also did a weld repair on the handle using muggy rod for cast iron.

I started with a profile of the handle and dimensions I wanted. Then I drilled and bored the center of the 1 1/4" diameter handle for the shaft. Then using the DRO I plunged a cutoff tool to the correct depth every 1/4". Then I went back and cleaned up between the plunges with the cutoff tool. The rest of the cleanup and profiling was done with files and emery paper. The shaft was made from a 1/2" X 5" grade 8 bolt. I didn't keep track of the time but I'd bet it took me every bit of 5 hours.

Last edited by nc5a; 12-02-2017, 11:18 PM.
  • nc5a
    • Jan 2013

A couple more photos of the handle.

Last edited by nc5a; 12-02-2017, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• danlb
      • Nov 2008

Looks like you did a fine job. Worth the effort, I'd say.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• nc5a
        • Jan 2013

Is there a way to post the photo instead of the link to the photo when using Imgur?

Comment

• BCRider
          • Dec 2015

Oddly enough I did one of these handle shapes for my own shaper just a few days ago. Two things that I did make it sound like I had an easier time of it than it sounds like you did. First is I used a wider slightly curved end HSS blunt nosed tool with a little back rake to do the basic forming. Made a sketch like you did by the sounds of it and instead of the plunges just did it by eye coordinating the X and Y together. Low speed, cutting oil and support from the tail stock on a nib at the end which was cut off later did a nice job of controlling chatter.

It still came out looking lumpy and not all curvy. I was looking at some extra two axis skimming and a LOT of nasty filing. But then I decided to put my angle grinder to work with a face flap sanding disc. Masked off the bed well, a little less than medium speed on the lathe and then sanded the handle to a pleasing shape. THAT went really fast!

Total time to get the shape turned out to be around an hour including the tool and basic turning with the hole. Then I was stuck for more than two hours trying to make a retention setup that would work. It didn't work worth a hoot and in the end I dropped a super magnet down the hole which is holding the rotating handle to the shaft pretty darn nicely, spins well with a bit of oil and a spot of grease and takes a pretty decent tug to get it to release. So I'm going with it for now.

I gotta also agree with the others. It came out really nice looking in the end.
          Last edited by BCRider; 12-02-2017, 01:39 PM.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• J Tiers
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
            Is there a way to post the photo instead of the link to the photo when using Imgur?
            Yes.

If you click on the photo when looking at the "images" page, you will see the photo enlarged, with a toolbar to the right. The bottom selection should be the one you want, it is the "image link" for forums. Click the button, and your clipboard should now have the image link that will show the pic. The left part will show up green if it happened correctly. Best to have it at 800 x 600 for the forum.
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• nc5a
              • Jan 2013

Thanks JT

The images are now in the post, much easier to view the photos. Although I reduced the original to 600 X 800 it still looks too big.

Comment

• RichR
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
                Thanks JT

The images are now in the post, much easier to view the photos. Although I reduced the original to 600 X 800 it still looks too big.
                That's because they are still 3072 x 2304 pixels.

Comment

• CCWKen
                  • Jan 2003

That looks great! You did a fine job using the step process too. A big thumbs up!

Thanks for the inline pictures too.

Comment

• nc5a
                    • Jan 2013

RichR,

Thanks for the tip. When I uploaded the photos to imgur I selected to reduce the sizes of all photos to 800 X 600 but I guess it didn't work. I'll try to fix it.

Comment

• quasi
                      • Jun 2003

nice job

Comment

Working...
                      X