Nibbler Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nibbler Table

Alright. Why isn't this a commercial product? Maybe it is and I just didn't see it.

Usually you see guys on YouTube video justifying the value of their Harbor Freight (or other brand of nibbler) by cutting sheets held floppily in the air or off the floor. That seemed to me that unless you are particularly well coordinated or had a lot of practice to be a "rough" operation. Now I'm pretty good with a table. I can do carving with one if I have to. I think that's partly because I can have two hands on the work piece if need be, but also because the work is fully supported. Why not with a nibbler?

Ideally the punching action should be reverse for a table mounted unit, but if its made height adjustable I see no reason it wouldn't work with the current range of power nibblers on the market.

I'm going to make one. Small 8x12 table for now. Probably with a heavy angle on one edge to mount in a vise, but if it works out well I have considered making a table as a leaf attachment for my table saw to support even large stock. (Warning! Wood working content.) I already have a leaf extension for my one of my routers that works out better than a small router table or even a small shaper table.

The only other thing I can think of to make it easier to use and manipulate would be a foot valve for air or a foot switch for electric.

I would note that this is not an original idea. I have seen atleast one home made nibbler table on YouTube. I thought of it, but I was definitely not the first to do so.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Why not just pick up a small but sturdy die-filer, fix the table so it no longer pivots, and replace the file with a nibbler punch and die?

It'd likely be a bit slower than you're looking for, but most of the fab work is already done for you.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
      Why not just pick up a small but sturdy die-filer, fix the table so it no longer pivots, and replace the file with a nibbler punch and die?

It'd likely be a bit slower than you're looking for, but most of the fab work is already done for you.

Doc.
      Or a jig-saw, see many at garage sales, showing sign of little use.

Comment

Hi Bob,
        Here is my version of a nibbler table, see:
        http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/a-nibbler-table.html
        I have been using it for some time and it works well, especially for fine intricate work.
        When I get time I intend to make another nibbler tool which is rather like a jig saw but with a nibbler head mounted on the platten instead of the saw blade. This will have a fence so that long straight cut can be mode on objects too large to be brought to the table nibbler.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by drmico60 View Post
          Hi Bob,
          Here is my version of a nibbler table, see:
          http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/a-nibbler-table.html
          I have been using it for some time and it works well, especially for fine intricate work.
          When I get time I intend to make another nibbler tool which is rather like a jig saw but with a nibbler head mounted on the platten instead of the saw blade. This will have a fence so that long straight cut can be mode on objects too large to be brought to the table nibbler.
          Mike
          do you have a video of your table in action?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Black forest,
            I do not have any videos of the table in action.
            Mike

Comment

Surely commonly available router tables for use with hand routers can have a nibbler fitted fairly simply?
              I quite like that idea!
              If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by drmico60 View Post
                Black forest,
                I do not have any videos of the table in action.
                Mike
                Mike, and I say this with complete sincerity, what a refreshing change!
                I've been on a rant about people posting stuff seemingly just to push their youtube channel clicks up and I've stopped following links to youtube as a result. It seems the art of using a few good pictures and a bit of text cover the widget perfectly is a dying art killed off by the adclicks revenue model. And your page is a great example of that dying art.
                Nice build too :-)
                Sorry OP, back to your thread.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
                  I've been on a rant about people posting stuff seemingly just to push their youtube channel clicks up and I've stopped following links to youtube as a result. It seems the art of using a few good pictures and a bit of text cover the widget perfectly is a dying art killed off by the adclicks revenue model. .
                  +1 Most things would be much better covered with a few quality stills and a description. 15 seconds instead of 10 minutes of blabber with crappy music

BLL.....I like the idea.....waiting for pics
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
                    Mike, and I say this with complete sincerity, what a refreshing change!
                    I've been on a rant about people posting stuff seemingly just to push their youtube channel clicks up and I've stopped following links to youtube as a result. It seems the art of using a few good pictures and a bit of text cover the widget perfectly is a dying art killed off by the adclicks revenue model. And your page is a great example of that dying art.
                    Nice build too :-)
                    Sorry OP, back to your thread.
                    Thank you for your kind words.
                    Mike

Comment

There's enough room in a table saw to come up with a drop in insert that is powered off the arbor. An eccentric connecting rod could provide the reciprocating motion, and a throat plate would hold the whole works in place. Seeing as how most table saws are of pretty similar design in that area, I bet you could sell a bunch of them.

Edit: It would obviously run way too fast, but it might be possible to change some pulleys to slow it down. Slug collection would be awesome too
                      Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 12-03-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Bob

In the great Pacific Northwest we call it a "buffet table" not a "nibbler table". Just funnin.

Have you tried one of the nibblers where you supply the drill/power source? If so where did you buy it and did it work? It would seem to be a fun project to build a self-contained nibbler table with a dedicated motor.

As soon as I finish the turret lathe build I will need/want a new project.

Pete

Comment

A nibbler table is a great idea. USING a nibbler with the sheet on a table is a distant second IMO, the table with height aligned is exactly what is wanted.

BTW, for those mentioning die filers, many of them were made to double as saws, you can put in a piece of hacksaw in most. For those with a spring loaded plunger overarm, you can use narrower bandsaw sections and operate like a jigsaw. I know the design patent for the Milwaukee dies filer that I had years ago had that application for it shown.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

The project has gone back burner, but I did use an IR pneumatic nibbler today for the project I was working on. I just roughed out the hole, and then finished with an oscillating drum sander. It worked out just fine. I am still interested in the idea, but I think I'll want to go with something like a Gobbler. Essentially a super nibbler capable of upto 1/4 inch steel and supposedly 1/2 inch aluminum.
                            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

One of the guys in work had a load of stuff to cut with a nibbler, the heavy makita one, he cobbled together an arm with some rollers to guide it, like a radial arm saw with a nibbler stuck on the end, worked really well, we had a floor standing nibbler but it was without a tidy punch at the time, the floor one was ancient, 1940s at a guess
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X