Drill bit set recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill bit set recommendations

I'm treating myself to a new drill bit set for the holidays and I'm hoping to get some recommendations. I'm looking for something general purpose. Some sets that I've found:

Drill Hog brand?
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Drill-Hog-USA....c100005.m1851

Norseman
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-Dril...gAAOSw4kVZuS50

Do you recommend 118 or 135 degree? I've read that the ground flats on the end of drill bits can cause concentricity issues. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for your help

frequent topic, worth doing a search on.

Comment

I have a set of Norseman that I like. The set I have, on the larger bits they have 3 flats ground on the shank so the bit doesn't slip in the jaws.

Hal

Comment

The 118 piece set from harbor freight are good. The cobalt bits, not the yellow coated ones. They are sharp, properly heat treated and correct diameter for the size. JR

Oh.. They are 135° also.

109 bucks.
        https://www.harborfreight.com/115-pc...set-61886.html
        Last edited by JRouche; 12-04-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Buy HSS you can get locally. You WILL break them at some point and find yourself running to town for a replacement. So know what's available locally.

While the 118pc type sets are nice, (particularly if you do any metric tapping), you can fake it pretty well with a mere 29pc factional. Adding tap drill sizes as you go.

I will second JRouche's recommendation of the HF set as pretty good for the money.
          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I was just going to ask about "faking" it. How much coverage do you get with the 118 (fractional, numbers & letters) sets? Is a separate metric set necessary?

Comment

The Drill Hog set looks like a pretty good value. The M7 is high grade tool steel. The picture shows that they are split point, that's what I use. They have a lifetime warranty and highest possible rating. I have never used that brand, but all the indicators are very good.
              Kansas City area

Comment

Fact: you can sharpen cheap drills and make them cut well. How long they stay sharp depends on the quality of the HSS. I suggest you buy an inexpensive 29 pc set and save some bucks for a drill grinder. Not a Drill Doctor, either. Later, buy a decent 115 pc set. Replace tiny drills. Buy 1/8" bits in 10 packs, double ended for first through hole.

metalmagpie

Comment

I got a set of Walter SST with hex shank couple years ago,they were total garbage they would shatter with very little load after a third of set shattered put them under the bench.Last week took them to to Walter Office and explained to them how they were failing.He informed me hex shank bits are not to be used in DRILL PRESSES or MILLING MACHINES,after some prodding he replaced entire set with a new round shank set.

Comment

Originally posted by ALee View Post
                    I was just going to ask about "faking" it. How much coverage do you get with the 118 (fractional, numbers & letters) sets? Is a separate metric set necessary?
                    Well, the number sizes, up to 0.228 vary, but can be as close together as 0.1mm A full set of regular inch drills on 1/64 increments are about 0.4mm apart, but also hit in between the number drills in places. letter drills are on roughly 0.25mm increments, and hit in between some of the others.

With a full set of 116 drills, you are likely to be able to get nearly any size from 0.3mm up to 6mm by 0.1 to 0.15mm increments, and above that by no worse than 0.4mm up to 12mm. I have a chart at the shop with both systems on it, and it may be better than I said.

Metric on 0.1mm increments will of course do the same in reverse.

Here is a chart with mm equivalents and the number, letter, and fractionals.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...VpDtAQ9QEILTAA
                    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I've been very pleased with a 29 piece drill set from a local machinist supply company, Quality Cutting Tools Inc. Places like that seem to sell much better quality merchandise than you are apt to get at big box stores and their like.

Comment

Has anyone ever heard of this company before? https://drillhog.com/
                        If I was buying my first good set of twist drill, I'd steer clear of Fleabay and Amazon ratings and buy a known brand: PTD, Cleveland, Viking, Morse, NYTD, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                          Has anyone ever heard of this company before? https://drillhog.com/
                          If I was buying my first good set of twist drill, I'd steer clear of Fleabay and Amazon ratings and buy a known brand: PTD, Cleveland, Viking, Morse, NYTD, etc.
                          Checked my e-mail and bought and returned a set in May 16, left hand twist. They were nice to deal with but I didn't like the grind on the sets they sent. Flats and a wire edge.

I've bought Triumph and been happy
                          Rich

Comment

There's quite a bit involved in drill point angle. General purpose drills are 118° and drills designed to cut tool steels are 135°. It's worth reading up on.

Comment

Ditto above. We like spending other peoples money but can't suggest tools if we don't know what you're going to do with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X