Drill bit set recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    I got a set of Walter SST with hex shank couple years ago,they were total garbage they would shatter with very little load after a third of set shattered put them under the bench.Last week took them to to Walter Office and explained to them how they were failing.He informed me hex shank bits are not to be used in DRILL PRESSES or MILLING MACHINES,after some prodding he replaced entire set with a new round shank set.
    Now please explain this to me...... A drill bit, or that particular brand that you have ......the shanks with the hex flats are not to be used in a drill press or mill........ Why???? Where do you have more control than in a drill press or mill??

JL...............

Comment

I have a quality 115 drill set. They are at least 15 years old and never used. I also have an A to Z and a 1-60 set. The 1-60 and a 1/16 to 1/2 set are Screw Machine length and are the work horses in the shop. The 1/6 to 1/2 set is 135 degree split point. There is also a 1/16 to 1/2 jobber length set that get used occasionally.

As CCWKen mentions we don't know what you want to use them for.

Because I work mostly metal the screw machine length works well. The 135 degree split point works so well for metal, I am regrinding my jobber length drills to the split point when they get dull.

Comment

My drill bit set consist of a set of screw machine drills, (short) in case your not familiar with screw machine drills. through 1/2" I use them for accurate work in both my lathe and mill, being short they don't wander as much as a jobber length bit will.
        Complete letter number fractional set and a complete metric set.

The screw machine set are made by PTD, the letter number set are mixed brands. The metric set is Chicago.

JL...........

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
          Now please explain this to me...... A drill bit, or that particular brand that you have ......the shanks with the hex flats are not to be used in a drill press or mill........ Why???? Where do you have more control than in a drill press or mill??

JL...............
          That is what I was arguing with the guy about,I was using them in a controlled setting but he insisted they are only for hand drills.I didn't go as far to roll my eyes since he was holding the brand new replacement set in his hands.That was the first Walter product I was dissatisfied with, I'll see how new set stands up.

Comment

Could it be that the flats are not well controlled as to centering etc?

It's not like they "could not" do it perfectly, but perhaps since they "intend" the drills for hand drills, that they "did not". Frankly I don't believe in this idea, but.....

You would suppose that more brittle drills would be WORSE in a hand drill than in anything else.... I've seen a good many cobalt drills shattered in hand use, but hardly any HSS, the cobalt are a lot more brittle.
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

The argument might be that you can't get as much torque with a hand drill, and perhaps they think that drill bits without flats will slip in a drill chuck in a milling machine or drill press. I like the bits with flats for hand drills that have hand-tightened chucks rather than Jacobs type that can be tightened more. But the Trinado bits I bought have flats only on the larger sizes.
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Just to provide a conclusion, I'm going with a Norseman drill set similar to this.
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/Norseman-11...YAAOSw3mpXOM8t

And as a reference it is over $100 cheaper than the cheapest US made drill set from MSC.
                https://www.mscdirect.com/product/de...285397#target4

Comment

I prefer screw machine length for most work.

allan

Comment

Are the bits with the flats hardened all the way threw? Where a smooth shank drill bit is only hardened up to before the letters normally?
                    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ALee View Post
                      Just to provide a conclusion, I'm going with a Norseman drill set similar to this.
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Norseman-11...YAAOSw3mpXOM8t

And as a reference it is over $100 cheaper than the cheapest US made drill set from MSC.
                      https://www.mscdirect.com/product/de...285397#target4
                      You say it is similar to the linked set, in what way is it different? Why not tell us what set you are actually getting?
                      North Central Arkansas

Comment

Drill bit set recommendations

Just purchased these from MSC. Interstate brand like Enco had so they are decent to the door for around $90. It was in their one stop flyer that they sent me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jdedmon91 View Post
                          Just purchased these from MSC. Interstate brand like Enco had so they are decent to the door for around $90. It was in their one stop flyer that they sent me

Interstate is generic Chinese made to sell for a price point as a "house brand". For a primary bit set, no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                            Interstate is generic Chinese made to sell for a price point as a "house brand". For a primary bit set, no thanks.
                            Yes but better than “other” bargain sets. If I was making a living with them then that’s a different thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X