Where to buy gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy gears?

I need a rack and spur gear train (pinion gear, reduction gear, drive gear, axles and mounts) for making manual minimal-slop position adjustments to a ~10kg load.

Where can I find such items at a reasonable price? (E.g., McMaster charges $100 just for a 12" steel rack!)

Don't know if they have what you need but check into "quality transmission components" and see if they do...

Comment

Put your location in your profile. No point in asking for a source if we don't know where you are! Here I have a handful of different national and local bearing/transmission supply houses to choose from.
      Last edited by lakeside53; 12-04-2017, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Oops: Just added. I assumed best sources would be mail-order; didn't occur to me there might be brick-and-mortar sources for this sort of thing. I don't even know what category of supply this falls into? "Heavy hobby robotics?"

Comment

Sometimes you just have to look around and re-purpose something. For example what you describe could be the quill feed of a drill press.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            Don't know if they have what you need but check into "quality transmission components" and see if they do...
            It appears they do, but holy smokes: just a single a rack segment is hundreds of dollars! I can't afford to begin to play if that's the cost of entry!

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
              Sometimes you just have to look around and re-purpose something. For example what you describe could be the quill feed of a drill press.
              Yeah, I was thinking back to the good old days when I could pick up daisy-wheel printers that had linear control assemblies weighing 20-30 pounds!

But since I designed this gear assembly I feel like I'm missing something: I can specify almost any electronic part and have it in a day at a good price from Digikey et. al., or in a few weeks at a better price from China. When I can't find bar stock or machine bits locally I can often get what I need in two days at a good price from Amazon.

Actually, the gears don't seem too outrageous from sdp-si.com. I don't understand why racks are commanding such a premium.

Comment

Amazon and eBay can sometimes be affordable sources for a variety of metalworking supplies.
                Kansas City area

Comment

Buy a 3d printer and you can make many gears much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by dbooksta View Post
                    Yeah, I was thinking back to the good old days when I could pick up daisy-wheel printers that had linear control assemblies weighing 20-30 pounds!
                    I tore a few of those down recently. The heavy shafts were spectacular. But the motion was controlled via cable and servo, not gears. Have you considered that approach? It seems to offer many advantages.

Comment

When I find myself stumped for the lack of something or other I tend to put the project aside until either the required parts come to hand or I get a flash of inspiration (which usually comes in the middle of the night).

Your requirement is for a rack, well a rack of sorts can be made with a length of roller chain but that may not be precise or slop free however a feed screw is something you can make in the lathe or use all thread if necessary.

Comment

you can have what you want made here http://www.mooregear.com/gearracks.html or here http://www.rushgears.com/gear-types/rack
                        also here http://www.sdp-si.com/products/Gears/Index.php or try a internet search for "gears"

Comment

McMaster Carr has a selection of small racks.
                          Brian Rupnow

Comment

try https://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/?cid=p590

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                            Oregon Coast

Comment

I have some new large rack + pinions, larger than an arbor press. Might be too big.

Comment

Working...
                              X