Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magicniner View Post
    Like 357? ;-)
    Very funny, 357 is not caliber, it's really 0.357".

Comment

Do they not fill the barrel with molten metal to make it unusable in the eyes of the law-regarding collecting or collectable weapons?
      Obviously I don't have a clue about these things, and am more than happy to admit it, but I am sure many years ago I saw this on t v, maybe it was just as a temporary way of satisfying the legal minds or police, that at that time it was barrel-filled and the fill material was stamped to prove it had not been removed at some time.
      I could also see how this could be removed by someone at a later date to make it's barrel free once more and possibly therefore reusable .
      Therefore is there not a different category for collecting useable guns, as opposed to a separate collection of guns which have been disabled by a professional firm specializing in this. Or is it the case than a weapon not professionally disabled, and therefore still useable, can not legally be categorized as a collectors piece. Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

If the frame can still be used for the frame of a functioning weapon its still a firearm regardless of the condition of any of the other parts.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Hi,

In the US, the BATF considers the firearm inoperable when the receiver is torch cut.

But, even then some really ambitious people have jigged and rewelded torch cut receivers of high dollar guns.
          Last edited by dalee100; 12-15-2017, 07:24 PM. Reason: auto corrected
          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Firearms can be "de-milled" in several different ways. A common method is to weld a steel plug in the chamber and drill a hole in the barrel through the chamber. The actions are sometimes welded closed. This is usually done to allow the firearms to be used for display, drill, parade and training purposes. This can be sometimes reversed, and these firearms still require a FFL in the US.

Collectors have little interest in firearms that have had this done, or guns that are in poor condition unless they are a very hard to find item.
            Jim H.

Comment

Legally per BATFE the serial numbered part is the firearm. The frame. It is considered a firearm if it is capable of being used as part of a functioning firearm. The bore, chamber, and/or barrel are typically not part of the frame. Even if affixed they are removable. Their condition has zero (0) bearing on whether or not it is a firearm. You can have ten thousand barrels in perfect condition, but if you do not have a frame you do not have a firearm. Haven't you noticed that you can buy just about every part of a firearm on-line or even on Ebay in the USA except the frame? That's the whole thing about the 80% frames. They are not capable of being used as a frame and require a certain amount of machining before they can be. No serial number on them. Not a firearm. After completion they are a firearm, but an individual may legally manufacture a firearm in the USA for their own use. Not to sell. Not as a gift. Not to barter. For their own use. No serial number is required, but multiple documents suggest you permanently mark it with a serial number for identification purposes in case it is stolen. Once it is more than 80% complete it is considered a firearm whether its serial numbered or not.

Oddly enough that ruling results in a suppressor also being considered a firearm as a serial numbered part in the USA. Even though it otherwise does not meet the legal definition of a firearm. Stupid, but true.

I would note this only applies to federal law. Some states are have a variety of much more restrictive laws.
              Last edited by Bob La Londe; 12-16-2017, 10:18 AM.
              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Working...
              X