Another steam engine is born---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another steam engine is born---

I have a friend in Barrie who recently retired. He has been a master machinist/toolmaker/instructor all of his life, and had heard that I was interested in model steam and i.c. engines. He called me about six months ago and I said "Come on over to my house. You might see something that catches your fancy." He immediately fell in love with my factory twin horizontal steam engine that I designed and built about seven years ago. I gave him a set of plans and off he went. Each month he has brought me over a box of finished parts for my approval and to ask questions. Today was the crowning glory of all this, and he showed up at my house with his finished engine. He has no compressor, and wanted me to set the timing and see if I could get it to run. The video tells the rest of the story. If anyone wants to buy a full set of the plans, I sell them for $25.00 Canadian.---Brian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVNb1jx4gFE
    Brian Rupnow

Great runner!! Congratulations!!

Pete
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Nice running engine!
      But, he left out your flywheel runout...... ;-)

Sid

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
        Nice running engine!
        But, he left out your flywheel runout...... ;-)

Sid
        Like I said Sid--He is a master machinist. I spent my entire life as a design engineer. I've been machining for 7 years. He's been machining for 40.
        Brian Rupnow

Comment

It's a smooth running engine. I see it as a combination of Brian's engineering skills and Terry's machining skills. That's how it used to work in a bygone era, anyway. They don't make'em like they used to... good on the two of ya!

Edit - I wasn't paying attention and got the wrong name, said Sid instead of Terry. Apologies to both.
          Last edited by Toolguy; 12-07-2017, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Hmmmm, I didn't see any steam.
            Just more click bait!!!!

THANX RICH
            People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
              It's a smooth running engine. I see it as a combination of Brian's engineering skills and Sid's machining skills. That's how it used to work in a bygone era, anyway. They don't make'em like they used to... good on the two of ya!
              Ummm.... I do the same engineering thing as Brian, on a different level, and 40 year's worth. Its just that I've also been building things as long, and am somewhat picky when it comes to details.

Sid

Comment

Originally posted by v860rich View Post
                people say i'm getting crankier as i get older. That's not it. I just find i enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!
                Amen, brother !!!!!

Comment

VA60rich--Thank you for the snide comment. How much have you contributed to this forum? How many builds have you posted about? How easy it is for some miserable old creep to say something nasty from far enough away that he knows I can't reach him. You may be old---You may be cranky. That doesn't give you the right to make derogatory statements or to rain on my parade. Go soak your head!!--Brian Rupnow
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

Great post and Video Brian and Terry. Much appreciated. Love this stuff.

Comment

Brian, I've soaked my head, and watched your video again. I still don't see any steam, except maybe out your ears!!!
                      The only reason I commented in the first place was because I see posting on this and other forums about steam engine builds but never any real steam, just compressed air???

THANX RICH
                      People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Brian, I've soaked my head, and watched your video again. I still don't see any steam, except maybe out your ears!!!
                        The only reason I commented in the first place was because I see posting on this and other forums about steam engine builds but never any real steam, just compressed air???

THANX RICH
                        Rich, take a look on Utube at some of the UK model builders. Not only do they run their engines on steam, but many run steam powered scale locomotives.

Comment

THANX RICH
                          I think the point is, that while the steam engines we build are often run on compressed air out of convieience, they are certainly capable of running on steam.

Comment

The point is, I don't like having my ass chewed on. It is a steam engine. If I wanted to go to the bother of building a boiler and firebox, it would run on steam. I see things on other peoples posts that make me quiver all over, but I try not to criticize unless they are doing something dangerously stupid. I don't have a boiler nor a firebox, and I don't have any intention of ever having them. Although compressed air has it's own dangers, they are dangers I know and am familiar with. Remember the words to "Wreck of the Old 97"---"He was found in the wreck with his hand on the throttle and scalded to death by the steam." I have no desire to end up like that guy.
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

I can attest to Brians design, I built this a number of years ago. It is very powerful and smooth running. The govenor was a bit of a trick but fun to make. It powers the generator and will produce 8-12 volts depending on the speed. I recommend it highly.

Comment

Working...
                              X