OT (of sorts) Need help with imgur photo hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT (of sorts) Need help with imgur photo hosting

I replaced Photo Bucket with Imgur to host photos but I'm having a difficult time resizing the images. I have emailed Imgur support describing the problem but have yet to hear back from them and probably won't. So I figured I'd ask some of the gurus here for help.

Initially I uploaded 6 photos to test the waters so I wasn't too worried about resizing. I just wanted to get a feel for how the site worked. Everything seemed to work OK but I didn't test the basic editing and a resizing functions because they looked pretty straight forward. So for the next batch of 11 photos I selected auto resize 800 X 600. My digital camera is 13 years old so doesn't take huge mega pixel photos but that being said the upload took several minutes, probably because of the auto resizing, or so I though. Anyway, the auto resizing didn't happen and I can't figure out how to auto resize the images either individually or in groups from the image page or album page.

I can crop each image, apply the change and then save but that is really time consuming and in the end isn't the same as resizing. Do any of you gurus know how to resize photos from the image or album page in Imgur?

Ron

It's easier that it appears.

When you upload a photo, imgur provides a dynamic way to resize them. I'll describe it in too much detail. First to get to my photos, I went to imgur, hovered the mouse over the username on the upper left side of the screen, then selected "images" from the drop down menu that appeared. That gave me a page with thumbnails of my pictures.

I clicked on an image of my pumpkin. That brought up a popup of the pumpkin. Here's that popup. You will note that in the lower left side there are a bunch of sizes. Original, small square, big square, etc. That's where you select the picture size. When you select "Medium Thumbnail" it will change the links in the section above it. See where it says "BBCode"? If you click the "copy" to the right of that it will copy the link into your buffer with the size you want. That link is preformatted to be just right for inserting into your post.

The image of this popup ishttps://i.imgur.com/GwerMFy.jpg, but I selected Medium Thumbnail so it added an "m" to the image name, like this: https://i.imgur.com/GwerMFym.jpg . Without that "m" you get the original size.

Now, here's the URL to the image for that pumpkin; https://i.imgur.com/AK9MqNj.jpg
    And here's the URL for the small thumbnail https://i.imgur.com/AK9MqNjs.jpg
    And the large one: https://i.imgur.com/AK9MqNjl.jpg

and this is how they look when using the BBCode.

Original size

Small size

Large size
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

There is another way, which allows more choices.

Select the pic from the "images" menu

Move cursor onto the image window, then down in lower right, select "EDIT IMAGE".

The window that comes up has our pic, and shows the current size. Select "Advanced" at the top

In the next window, select "CROP". Some whote dots marking the corners will appear, and a series of sizes you can use will appear at top right. Select one. I usually do 800 x 600.

The dots will move to the size that would be in pixels on the existing picture size. Move them out to frame the part of the picture you want, which can be the whole thing.

Select "apply", then select "save". You are done, and the pic is at the selected size in pixels, cropped to whatever you selected.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Keep in mind that while Jerry's method will allow you to set up very strange sizes, it will do so by reducing the resolution of the image permanently. This is really good for when you want to accentuate something. This is not desirable if you want to show a closeup of some feature later. An example is the pumpkin above. You can display that as well as the small thumbnail in the same post without needing two copies of the same picture on Imgur.

Using the Imgur technique leaves the original at the original size, and lets you display the smaller sizes in predictable manner if you want by simply changing the URL by one letter.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Indeed.

And that iis why I use it, because it keeps your total storage down. That was more important perhaps with "Photobreakit" than with Imgur, but......

However, it also allows you to MAKE a closeup, by setting the resolution, and then cropping to a smaller area. This closeup was cropped from a larger image that way, at good resolution

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

I just resize (and compress when required) using Irfanview before I up load my pix to any of the "linkage" sites.
            ...lew...

Comment

I process my images using Microsoft "Paint", which is quick and simple for rotating, cropping, and resizing. I leave my original 4000x3000 pixel image on local storage and save a copy at 20% (800x600) for use in forums. i also give them descriptive filenames along with part of the original name (such as DSC1234) so i can find the original if i want to do other processing. I upload these reduced images to my server.
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

danlb,

Very clear explanation of the resizing options available. I saw the small, medium and big selections in the lower right corner of the selected image and tried them but nothing happened. So here goes again with a test with large thumbnail selected.

I see the letter that is added just before the .jpg so this should work

Yes, I get it now. Thanks danlb and you're right it is easier than it first appears. I probably had it the first time but since I didn't see any action (changes to the photo) I figured it didn't work.

Jerry, thanks for the input but I can see the value of keeping the original size. Now if I can just remember to post photos sized to large thumbnail.

Ron
                Last edited by nc5a; 12-06-2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Yep, it came out fine, 480x640 (portrait mode).

I looked at the original too at 2304 × 3072 pixels by copying the URL and taking off the 'l' before the .jpg.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                    I process my images using Microsoft "Paint", which is quick and simple for rotating, cropping, and resizing. I leave my original 4000x3000 pixel image on local storage and save a copy at 20% (800x600) for use in forums. i also give them descriptive filenames along with part of the original name (such as DSC1234) so i can find the original if i want to do other processing. I upload these reduced images to my server.
                    I used to do that also. but I decided I did not want to do "double storage" locally if I could avoid it. So I let Imgur do it.

If I ever WANT to have a large res photo up, I can simply store it that way, so I lose nothing.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                    X