Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38_Cal
    replied
    I use an AXA on my 11x24 Rockwell and a BXA on my 13x40 Enco.

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    I had to go BXA as I bought a Wabeco D6000 lathe that came with way over 50 real Aloris BXA tool holders that didn't even fit the lathe all for $600.

Leave a comment:

• CPeter
    replied
    Well, I purchased a used but said to be very good condition AXA set off the internet. I will see how that works. I like to use insert tools and I have two sets now that all use the same insets and would like to be able to stick with those.
    Peter

Leave a comment:

• JCByrd24
    replied
    As has been mentioned you can use smaller tools and it will work fine, however if you look at the dimensions of the parting holder for example it will likely not work depending on the compound to center height of your lathe. Mines only 1" despite being a 12" lathe, so BXA would be limiting there. I'll actually be making a custom holder to hold 1" tall inset parting blades for my AXA.

You mention another solution which I have considered as well, and would have other benefits: removing the compound. On a small lathe the compound can be a weakness and removing it in lieu of a solid block may be another good solution since you are already invested in BXA.

Leave a comment:

• Ed ke6bnl
    replied
    I have an 11 Rockwell and I could get away with a or b holder I went with the AXA and can get 5/8 wide bit holder if necessary. the holders for the AXA are CHEAPER to get more for the other tools and I have turned down the tool bits to fit the AXA when necessary.

Leave a comment:

• projectnut
    replied
    Originally posted by CPeter View Post
    I have Grizzly G4002 tool post and 10 tool holders. I wanted to be able to use some of the tool holders on my Logan 11" lathe and a trial fit on the Logan shows the tool being about 1/8" high and no way to lower it. Would an AXA be any lower? I may have to go that route or take the compound feed off the Logan and mount the tool post directly on the cross feed. What have other Logan users done?
    Peter
    Here's a link to the Phase II tool posts and holders. About half way down on the page there's a chart giving the dimensions of the tool posts:

http://www.phase2plus.com/details.as...OOL_SETS&id=52

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    I use a Phase II BXA on my my 11" Logan with no issues. According to the drawing the base on the BXA is only 1/16" higher or hasn't the coffee kicked in yet?
    Last edited by flylo; 12-08-2017, 08:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ncjeeper
    replied
    You can get XL AXA holders that will holder larger tools if need be.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Yes, the tool holder for AXA will put the tool lower. You can use the catalog at http://www.aloris.com/wp-content/upl...is_catalog.pdf to see the dimensions.

Or you can just use smaller tools. Keep in mind that the max tool shank on AXA is 1/2 inch. Max tool size for BXA is 5/8 inch.

Note the size of the bottom of tool holder; AXA is 7/16 thick. BXA is 1/2 inch thick.

BXA.
    Note the size of the bottom of tool holder;

AXA.

Leave a comment:

• CPeter
    started a topic AXA vs BXA Tool Posts

AXA vs BXA Tool Posts

I have Grizzly G4002 tool post and 10 tool holders. I wanted to be able to use some of the tool holders on my Logan 11" lathe and a trial fit on the Logan shows the tool being about 1/8" high and no way to lower it. Would an AXA be any lower? I may have to go that route or take the compound feed off the Logan and mount the tool post directly on the cross feed. What have other Logan users done?
    Peter
Working...
X