Smart phone uses in shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart phone uses in shop

What do you use your smart phone in shop?

-Calculator
    -Inclinometer (very handy for setting angle when grinding tools etc)
    -vibration analysis ie dynamically balancing rotors

Calculator (S)
    -Speed Feed (FS Wizard)
    -Arc Chord
    -Triangle
    -Trajectory (Chairgun)
    -Standard

-Video Surveillance (IP Cam Viewer)

-Research Internet
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
      What do you use your smart phone in shop?

-Calculator
      -Inclinometer (very handy for setting angle when grinding tools etc)
      -vibration analysis ie dynamically balancing rotors
      I'd be interested to know more about how to use a smartphone for vibration analysis and dynamically balancing rotors.

Comment

-music
        -news
        -browse the net
        -pics

Comment

Noise level and frequency spectrum analysis.

Comment

I do not use smart phone in shop
            The phone will get oily and stop working
            I use old time charts simple and faster than trying try to boot a APP.

Dave

Comment

I use mine in the shop as a termination end point for receiving phone calls. For example, if someone wants to call me and I feel inclined to answer it, I'll be able to communicate verbally with the other person. I also sometimes take pictures with it.

Comment

Glad you mentioned pictures. I use it for that all the time, but I also use it as a photo diagnostic tool. The macro on it is quite good. I have laid a caliper up next to a feature and taken photos of something I can't actually put a caliper or a mic on so that I can estimate fairly small dimensions. Also, when a customer is trying to ask me to do the impossible its often faster to do a quick sketch, snap a picture of the sketch and email it to them.
                *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

shim, wedge, jaw padding,

Comment

Photos, the occasional machining ap, gear calculator, speeds and feeds, looking stuff up in charts, music.
                    I have a tablet (cheap fire) screwed the wall that deals with music, and a old s4 mini smartphone with a otterbox rugged case and no sim in it to take photos with and I copy them off while in the shop on shop wifi using a android ap that allows the phone's pictures to be extracted remotely. Theres also a actual computer monitor and keyboard in the corner running off to a machine in another room with really long cables that I can use for cad/cam adjustments, browsing the net, getting the pics off the phone etc.
                    I can't actually be phoned in the shop as I leave my newer smartphone in the house deliberately. And the intercom is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
                      shim, wedge, jaw padding,
                      Probably their best use; however, do try and completely discharge or remove the LiPo.

Comment

FS wizard, emails and playing music over bluetooth
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIF...7S66kX1s8rd0qA

Comment

I use mine for pictures. I have a $1 calculator I'd rather mess up with my oily hands.

I AM interested in that vibration analysis though. Didn't know that was even possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

I AM interested in that vibration analysis though. Didn't know that was even possible.
                            Something along these lines:
                            http://www.instructables.com/id/Dyna...and-an-iPhone/

Iphones are limited to 100hz sampling of internal acceleration sensor so 3600rpm motors are out of question. But another option is to use external acceleration sensor connected to microphone input.
                            Something like ADXL335 3-axis acceleration sensor cost 2-3 dollars.
                            Not sure about android phones but with some of them it was possible to use higher sample rate with the internal acceleration sensors.

Comment

I use my smartphone pretty much every time I'm in the shop. Obviously I wipe my hands first!

I can do trig on a calculator or paper, but plugging the numbers into a machining app is just as fast and provides a nice visual. I use that for lathe compound calculation frequently.

iEngineer is another app I use a lot, for bolt strength and thread dimensions, including tap/drill info. It contains most of the extra fine sizes not found on a lot of charts, as well as being many charts full of info right there in my pocket.

The scientific calculator apps are really useful too of course.

I also use mine as a digital level. There's a "Surface Level" app for iphones that works pretty well, with a visual bubble as well as digital numbers that can be locked or zeroed.

Oddly enough I rarely talk on my smartphone (probably less than 10 minutes per month on average), and never in the shop. I use it more as a pocket computer than a phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X