One Young Man's Home Built Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Young Man's Home Built Lathe

Looking around this morning I happened upon a video of a young man building a two speed transmission for a go kart. I was impressed by his resourcefulness and more importantly the lathe he was using. The video didn't show that much of his lathe as it was mainly focused on the project he was working on.
    This had me wondering if another one of his videos would reveal more about the lathe that he had built. It appears there is a whole series dedicated to building the lathe.

I know it's not perfect and I'm sure he knows this as well, but he's on a limited budget and he's doing more with less and making chips to boot! The machine that he's built allows him to pursue his other fabrication interests.
    Good inspiration for those that have asked the question many times before on how to make chips without spending a lot of cash.

Have to give the kid credit for being resourceful.

Two speed transmission build.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZiHyOF-XEE&t=54s

Adding power feed to the lathe. This gives a good overall look at his lathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIlyCIgtUAI
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Ya gotta love how far young people can get with pluck, innovation, and a lack of money ...

Comment

His surface grinder was also worth a mention:
      https://youtu.be/ob5v5KI9ngM?t=637

Have to say the results look much better than expected:
      https://youtu.be/qIlyCIgtUAI?t=620
      Last edited by MattiJ; 12-08-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Here is PART 1 of the lathe build series. From there the associated videos in the sidebar should lead you on to the other follow on videos in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
          Ya gotta love how far young people can get with pluck, innovation, and a lack of money ...
          And an uncanny ability to scavenge all that metal.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

This kid's going places! Wonder where he's from? I could donate a few machines & know they'd be put to good use.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Great video. It reminds me when I built my first go kart back in 2004 powered with a 4-cyl 750cc motorcycle engine ('79 GS750E). All I had was a drill press, angle grinder, a basic stick welder, and an air-powered metal "hack-saw". This is what started it for me. Once I was done building this, I started spending money on machine shop tools.

Comment

When I was 16 tore down a building to build a shop, bought a Lincoln 225 AC buzzbox & a set of torches & tanks from Aldens for $99 each, still have them both. I was racing Redbud so my firdt build was a bike trailer. Later had a '85 Honda 4 wheel 250R with a 750 Suzuki water buffalo engine, ungodly wicked.
                "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                country, in easy stages."
                ~ James Madison

Comment

The kid could use some wrenches. He must have 10 or so different pliers hanging on the wall. He uses those for wrenching large nuts/bolts.

Comment

Very impressive builds, big Thanks Willy for posting this.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                      This kid's going places! Wonder where he's from? I could donate a few machines & know they'd be put to good use.
                      That was my thought. "Give that kid some tools". Over the years I've bought so many socket sets I darn near use the sockets as slingshot ammo... He'd be a good recipient (and not from a slingshot).

Comment

What the kid did is quite amazing, however before you go shipping tools off to him take a look at his other videos. I checked out a few from earlier times then the one shown in the original post. That kid still has quite the collection of tools.
                        You can see wrenches, sockets, drills, angle grinders, etc around his shop. He has a drill press, a metal chop saw, a welder, a pipe bender etc. When he used the vise grips and made the comment he did not have the right tools I felt sorry. However later in the video he is using a box end wrench to tighten the one bolt on the I beam behind the motor. I really don't want to rain on his parade however look before you ship.
                        Harold

Comment

After watching him use vise grips for what was probably weeks, I was greatly relieved in about the 5th or 6th video when he finally acquired a tap wrench.

A very impressive young guy indeed.

Comment

Hate to be the one that says it, but for all the money he spent on materials he could have just bought a lathe.

BUT it is great to see the enthusiasm and gumption this kid has!
                            Andy

Comment

Not around here.. Anything that even resembles a lathe will go for allot more than he spent. Am sure it depends on where you are, some parts of the country have allot more industry and places that are upgrading or shutting down than we have in OK.

I thought the kid did a fantastic job with what he had to work with... Sometimes it's easier to come up with 50 or 100 bucks several times over a period than $1000.00 all at once.
                              Last edited by BobinOK; 12-09-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X