New Spindle for Old Walker Turner Wood Lathe, pg. 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Spindle for Old Walker Turner Wood Lathe, pg. 1

When I acquired a Walker Turner 12” four speed wood lathe model 5110 a couple of years ago I immediately started scheming on a replacement spindle to allow me to use 1”-8 TPI accessories instead of the 12 TPI that W T used. (I have lots of 8 TPI faceplates.)

So I set about making a spindle to fit the lathe. I decided to use the existing bearings, as they were good after being cleaned up. A spindle to use modern bearings with standard 25mm bore would also be a bit more complex, so I went with the simple solution.

I used 1026 steel DOM tubing, 1/2” bore and 1-1/8” OD. Then I essentially replicated the dimensions of the original spindle with a couple of exceptions. The main difference is that in order to cut the threads on the right hand end I needed a “runout groove” for the threading tool, so I had to increase the length of that end by about 1/4”. On the left end, instead of making the entire spindle the diameter of the bearing seat (.993"), I reduced the diameter from the end to the split ring groove to .991", to make bearing installation easier.

Keep in mind that W T used oddball bearing bores on this spindle. The right hand, double row bearing has a bore of .995”, while the left hand bearing has a .993 bore.

Here are some pix:

First, the finished spindle in front of the old one.

Pressing the “abutment ring” (my terminology) up against the snap ring. With this in place, I returned to the metal lathe and took a light facing cut off of the front of the ring.

Add the bearing flange, gasket, and bearing spacer, then press the double row bearing in place. I put an O ring in the thread runout groove, and it holds a 1/4” thick shaper spacer in place next to the abutment ring:

After a complete trial assembly, I found that I needed to relieve both bearing flanges slightly to provide clearance:

New Spindle for Old Walker Turner Wood Lathe, pg. 2

Final assembly, everything fits, and runs smoothly and quietly:

And I’m ready to turn!

I still need to find a couple of ball oilers, and now that the spindle is finished I’m thinking that perhaps I should strip and paint the lathe. For now the spindle still has a straight, 1/2" bore. A later project will be to bore the right end for #2 Morse Taper. I'll either do this in situ or by mounting the entire headstock assembly onto a tool & cutter grinder.

This was my first project that required machining to plus or minus a couple of tenths on the bearing seats, and I'm pleased with the results. I don't have a toolpost grinder; all of the finish diameters were done with a SHARP high speed steel bit.

I have more pix of the various operations that I can post if desired.

Comment

Looks like a good job, and you had fun too! Yeah, I too have found you can remove very small amounts with sharp tool bits.

Comment

When I rebuilt my WT lathe I was not making the spindle so I spent the big bucks for the special bearings. In hindsight I would have been better off to make a new spindle that would allow the use of standard 1" bore bearings.

Comment

When you went that far did you not fit a new belt and some people even add a spare and tape it on theinside out of the way. I would hate to have to exchange my flat belt on my metal lathe it is actually done in situ and you need a special clamping jig easilly shop made.Howevery time I tried to make a new belt it always broke within seconds LOL not doing something correct eh? LOL alistair
          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
            When you went that far did you not fit a new belt...
            When I first bought the lathe the belt on it was trashed, so I installed this new one. It only has about 4 or 5 hours of running on it. Replacing the belt on this machine is easy and simple, once you know which way the spindle comes out!

Comment

Working...
            X