my air air compressor went oops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my air air compressor went oops

I changed out the Air Pressure Switch after 30 years and the Compressor Safety Relief Pressure Valve. The pressure switch was the same 125 psi and the relief valve the same , know the relief valve goes out at 125 psi this is all the same stuff that came off the compressor and it is a parts campbell hausfeld 60 gal. 125 psi. So do I replase the relief valve ???????

Turn down your pressure switch to say 10-20 psi less than the relief valve. The relief valve needs to be sized less then the max rating of the system (all components). You cannot have the relief and pressure switch operating at the same pressure.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 12-10-2017, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Probably wouldn't hurt to change out the check valve going from the pump to the tank while you're at it. Those get wear and/or corrosion as well. My compressor is a 2 stage rated for 175 PSI. I ran it like that for a while, but it got pretty hot doing it that way. It is now set to shut off at 125 tank pressure with a 150 PSI relief valve. The compressor runs a lot cooler now. It comes back on at 100 PSI tank pressure. With an 80 gallon tank, I have all the air needed for anything, including the sandblaster. Most air tools run at 90 PSI or less. You're better off with high volume (big tank) than high pressure.

Comment

Yep.. Mine is a 200 psi system running at 100-125 (in/out). I could run it at 150/175 but no point with a 200 gallon tank as the pump keeps up with my bead blaster and any tool I use. Relief is set at 200.

Comment

so how do I turn down the pressure switch

Comment

The pressure switch has internal adjustments for hi and lo if you take off the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
              The pressure switch has internal adjustments for hi and lo if you take off the cover.
              I think its actually shut off pressure and then the spread to the turn on pressure. Basically hi and low. Set the high first.
              Or I may have that backwards, and I just did this the other day.

Just 2 screws, usually one right on top of the other. The trick is figuring out which one is which, and which way is up and down.

Comment

Funny this thread came up. I just hooked up my compressor yesterday after not using it for ~11 years. The normal shutoff pressure is 175psi but the safety valve tripped at around 175psi before the main pressure valve shut off so I dropped it down to ~155psi.

Comment

Working...
                X