Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

King Tools ML1022 lathe (same as Grizzly 0602)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Tools ML1022 lathe (same as Grizzly 0602)

I picked this lathe up about a year ago, new, yesterday was the first time I tried threading with it. I'm makng a swing out spare tire carrier for my Jeep, and was making ths spindle for it. I needed to thread the end to 3/4"x16 tpi, so out with the chart, set the gear box as instructed, changed the gearing as instructed, ran a scoring cut, 14tpi. Hmm. Did I miss something? Lets take a look.....set gear box to 1, A, double checked the change gears, all good. Hmm. Tried another scoring cut. 14tpi. FIDDLESTIX!!
    So, ended up playing around, tried this and that, FINALLY, got it to cut 16tpi, but not at their settings. Has anybody run in to this, or am I just lucky.....🤔

Is there a compound idler between spindle and qc gearbox? If so make sure you are on the right gear with both shafts. Sometimes you just need an idler so both drive and driven are on the same gear, other times you need the reduction of the compound gear, driven on on gear drive on other. I have a g4002 and I had it wrong and took me forever to figure out my mistake.

Comment

Gear train set to cut metric?

Comment

Here's a link to the Grizzly manual for the same lathe as you have, this is a much better manual than King has for that lathe.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0602_m.pdf

Go to page 46, see the orientation of the gears and take note of the "b" gear's position and it's relation to the spacer on that shaft. Many folks miss this, as the spacer is normally on the inside position during normal power feed gearing setup.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Gear (a) should have been 27T, right? It should be driving a 127T gear. That gear should be driving gear (b) which should have been 48T.

The controls should be set to I and B, Right?

Let me know 1) if that works and 2) if you need to know how I got that from the Grizzly manual.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Check this out:
            http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...ight=threading
            Chers,
            Jon

Comment

Thanks for all the intel, everybody. I'll be doing some checking on everything mentioned above, and see what transpires. I'll post what I come up with.

Comment

Hi again; okay, Willy, to clarify things for me(keep in mind I am a novice,lol) a couple of questions. First, looking closely at the gear train on page 46 in the Grizzly manual(which is beyond 100% better than the king, which has a lot of pertinent info in French but not English) it looks like the 120 tooth gear it asks for is not engaged by any other gear; if this is correct why does the chart specify that gear? Second, there are two 16 tpi settings on the chart; I used the one on the left, not the one on the right. What am
                I missing, there must be some way to know which one to use? I see also there are a fair number of repetitive tpi's one could choose from, dependent on the number. Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter1885 View Post
                  Hi again; okay, Willy, to clarify things for me(keep in mind I am a novice,lol) a couple of questions. First, looking closely at the gear train on page 46 in the Grizzly manual(which is beyond 100% better than the king, which has a lot of pertinent info in French but not English) it looks like the 120 tooth gear it asks for is not engaged by any other gear; if this is correct why does the chart specify that gear? Second, there are two 16 tpi settings on the chart; I used the one on the left, not the one on the right. What am
                  I missing, there must be some way to know which one to use? I see also there are a fair number of repetitive tpi's one could choose from, dependent on the number. Any help much appreciated, thanks.
                  1) the 120 tooth gear is only used when cutting metric threads. When cutting metric, gear (a) drives 127 which is connected to 120 as a compound gear, and that drives gear (b).

However, when you cut imperial threads (inches) the 127T gear is used as a "idler" and just transmits the power from gear (a) to gear (b) without changing it. The 120T gear is left in place when it's not needed just because it's convenient.

2) There are two 16 tpi settings because the gear set that gives you 8TPI with the dial set at 'B' also will give you 16 if you change the dial to 'A' . Use any one of the 16, 18, 32 or 36 settings.

3) I'm assuming that you have figured out that the rows that start with 'a' and 'b' tell you which gear goes on those two positions, and the row labeled "lever" gives you the dial position of 'I' or 'II'. The dial position A, B or C are to the left of the TPI settings.

Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Thank you, Dan, that helps a lot.

Comment

Yup Dan pretty well has it covered. As I mentioned previously keep the orientation of the "b" gear and the spacer correct as it is opposite of where it normally resides. A lot of folks mess up on this as the manual only illustrates this, they don't actually mention it in the text.

The lathe is actually capable of many more threading combinations than is shown on the machine's faceplate. Even the 16 tpi setting has four possible gear combinations.

These screen shots are from a little threading program I have for the King/Grizzly 10x22. If you want just PM me your email and I'll send it to you. You could get it elsewhere online but I think you'll have to join one of several other forums in order to download the file. Very versatile and useful little program!

Like this one, I believe this is where I got it.
                      http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop-machines/151573-g0602-threading-guide-windows-app.html

Comment

Many thanks. Looks like I had it set fot metric as was mentioned. Oh well, live and learn. With the help of folks on here... I'll definitely pm you my email, much appreciated. Never answered yesterday; a buddy suggested ice fishing so spent a long day on the ice. All we got was cold.....lol

Comment

Got your PM, I'll send the little program right away.

So the spacer was on the wrong side of the driven (b) gear I take it? This would then be on the same side as the normal power feed position, or the same position as you would use for metric threading.
                          Glad you got it sorted out.

Comment

Working...
                          X